Theater research tr1110 tower speakers

anybody out there have a clue what kind of quality these tr1110 speakers are, or what they are worth or what company makes them, thanks, i'm clueless! mark

Anonymous
$50, and that's in US Dollars! The ads you've seen are fake. I hope you didn't pay $200 for them and trying to sell them for more, hoping to make a quick buck! If you are, make sure they haven't been to this forum or any other HT boards...

wc fields
did they come froma white van being sold by 2 guys with excess inventory? Was it worth more than a few thousand dollars and they were excess inventory and they just want to get a few extra bucks? Must be some dumb company letting very expensive inventory go unnoticed and you are a greedy bum thinking your getting something for nothing...sucker!

Anonymous
But gents... some of us work for the police department and got their names and all the pertenint information. I now have a warrant out for them... at least the ones that sold to me. Too bad for con-artists.

Anonymous
I too got taken, although I wouldn't pay more than $75, regardless of the "ad" I was shown. Something was telling me to walk away, there was something about the packaging that just didn't seem right, but greed is a powerful emotion. License # on truck (blue pickup) was HY1-57A (I had a funny feeling, can anyone out there trace this tag to someone?), guy said his name was Chad, had a card that had a phone # (561) 714-4149.

Neal
I live in British Columbia Vancouver, Canada, 2 guys came up to me and asked me if i wanted to buy these Theatre Research TR-1110 speakers retailed at over a thousand dollars, they were driving a red van, but when i hooked them up, they sounded really good, i'm not even sure if they're fake or real i don't know, what can i do with these speakers i ended up paying $100 canadian.

I bought Theater Research TR 8200 home theater from a guy in 7-11 parking lot. I thought he was a real doof. I guess I am the doof. Still it looks like decent quality stuff

Speaker Guy
Hey for all you idiots out there who think this is a scam your WRONG... People who say these things are only worth $50 well did you ever think how much your JBL system might cost to make. Probably the same if not pennies more. So before you knock the hustle get a goddamn clue.

John Smith
I bought a set of the speakers the same way and they sound pretty good for only a few hundred bucks... I hooked them up with my mixer and tv, getting better sound than I had produced with sony speakers. If it is infact a scam, at least I got something good out of it.

Anonymous
Had the TR-1400 from 2 guys in a van. Only paid $260CDN for the pair. I checked out their site http://www.trtheaterresearch.com and seems ok though. Did anyone tried testing and finding out their sound quality?

Anonymous
Same story but I only had a $100 on me. They had a damn good story, whats the deal with these things. TR-1110. They don't look too bad, havne't hooked it up yet.

Anonymous
I just got hooked on the same deal, but for TR-5210 subwoofer/home theatre style speakers. I have not tried them yet so hopefully they work. This was in Victoria, BC - also a large SUV with two guys.

Jesus Garcia
Found in El Paso texas. Paid 200 for a home theatre system. Huge subwoofer. 850 watts? Sounds good for now.

anthony
Yes I found a pair in Boston, MA... selling out of a truck... havent hooked them up yet, they look nice and are very solid...

Jessica From Tampa, Florida
I was in the car with my brother today when a guy in a white van asked "hey guys whats up you guys wanna buy some speakers, I'm hooking them up at a bar for a game tonight and I wanna sell them to you real cheap." So me and my brother went to the van he had 10 of these "home audio series" speakers. He said look they retail 1,000 a piece i'm selling you them 200.00 a pair. SO i was like no way, and i bought just one. What a big f*cking scam. These people are out there no matter where you go. Another scam is the guys who are out in the parking lot trying to sell you parfume thats straight from dillards. bs. Its watered down oil.These people are out there peeps

Is anyone interested in selling apair or two of TR1400 speakers?!!!!Contact me at Widowmaker@adelphia.net

I had absolutely no interest in buying a set of speakers, but these two guys in a white van seemed so desperate to get a little money in their hands that I felt sorry for them and gave them $170 for a set of the TR-1110 speakers that I really have no use for. This happened outside a Kinko's in Gurnee, Illinois on 10/30/03. They were trying to dump a more comprehensive home theater system, but left me with the two speakers as I didn't have more cash on hand.

LHG
Check this out:

http://www.badbusinessbureau.com/view.asp?id=56422

Hustler13
I was approached right in the bank parking lot. The said that they recieved excess speakers and they were selling them. The sticker price on them said $999 for each speaker. And they were going to sell them to me for half price. I told them that I could not afford to buy speakers for $500 each. They asked me how much money I had, so I went back in the bank took out $200 and told them this was all the money I was taking out. They tried to get me to take out more money but I told them to take it or leave it. Of course they took it. But its ok, the speakers are excellent, they sound better then I expected. I WOULD have paid the $500 if I was buying the speakers from somewhere like Best Buy.

Hustler13
The whole world is a hustle. Bill Gates is filthy rich because he sells computer code for hundreds of dollars. The Windows OS is nothing more than one's and zero's when you break it all down. But people will still be at the store spending millions of dollars to get the newest version of Windows when it comes out. These guys and Bill Gates are the same. They are both hustling you out of your money. So don't knock the game until you know the game.

G-Man
Hustler--You can buy a Mac or a linux system. No one needs to buy Microsoft software or an MS operating system. Actually if you don't buy an MS operating system, odds are you will never get a virus.

The logic that since software is just 1's and 0's and Gates or anyone else doesn't deserve money for creating software from 1's and 0's is nutty.

There are 26 letters in the english alphabet--should Stephen King relinquish his copyrights on his books because someone else invented those letters? Same with notes for music.

Bill Gates doesn't have his minions shake you down in a parking lot. He doesn't say that his Word Software really costs $1800, but he has some extra in the back you can have for $25.

As far as these guys saying the speakers are $1800--I can print 5,000 rave magazine reviews on magazine paper and 5,000 phony professional invoices from a phony manufacturer saying the speakers cost $1800/pr, even though they cost $50.

There are people who love their phony Rolex's too. They just get pissed when they take them to the pawn shop.

RX7 Freak
I got taken as well, was told they had extras and wanted to get rid of them paid 100 US for both. speakers sound real good though not a bad deal.

Anonymous
Skinny Steve you know who you are and when i see you again your dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sucker #4098
some punks scammed me as well, paid 300 US dollars for two TR 900 speakers. Havent tried them out yet though. hopefully some of you that said that they dont sound bad are right on.

Anonymous
I got scammed too. but i do agree i have seen all levels of speakers and these are not that bad. i have seen sony speakers sell for more and they suck. i know there are 1001 differents speaker companies out there, and i know what speakers sell for. yes i feel like and idiot, but i got something that works, and not too bad i might add.

To those who think they got ripped off,Go ahead and spend $ 5-800.00 on a set of name brand speakers then come back and tell me who got ripped off!!You obviously do not know good sounding speakers when you hear them.Just take the time to listen to them and you will regret even thinking of selling them.Whether you buy them in a van or a shopping mall just listen to them!!!You'll be happy!!!!!! By the way,I posted a messege on this site and someone tampered with it!!!Do not trust this site trust your ears!!!!!!

Consumer
It seems like widowmaker ia one of the sellers too. Why do I think so? He sent me an e-mail with request to purchase tr-1110 from me I did send info to him back, but he is never get back to me. I did not have a chance to listen my tr-8010 yet and consequently no complain there and also I have bought tr-1110 for a gift, but have no need for it now. So who wants to buy be my guest.
tr-1110 for $220 and my e-mail: tvv96@mail.ru

Anonymous
Well I don't feel like the the only moron here. I get a call to come check these speakers and home entertainment system out, before my dear parents bought the crap. I hooked the speakers up to my Kenwood system and couldn't blow them. They sounded pretty good. I spent more on my Cerwin Vegas and they don't sound as good. Moral here......It is a scam, but Theatre Research is the one taking the bone.

Anonymous
I also bought a pair of the TR-1400 today for $200 from two guys in a beat-up white van. They wanted $600. I knew it was too good to be true. Go to the website trtheaterresearch.com I don't know how reliable the actual prices are, but their phone number is on the website. The old saying "buyer beware" and "if it looks too good to be true, then, it isn't..." I can't believe I fell for this. What a total scam.

Igotsome Cefront Inkansas
Anonymous you got had. Should have got the speakers from the red van.

White van bad - red van good

Anonymous
Well I just bought a set of these speakers for 250$, but even as I bought them I figured the guys were just way too eager to give me a good deal. This was a black van, in Grande Prairie Alberta, so I guess there are hundreds of these guys running around out there. Oh well, as long as they sound decent I am not really that upset, I've spent more money on dumber things......

:>

I maid a cloose research on those speaker. It's scrap that cost not even 50$ canadian. It's the new serie of speaker. The first serie was
Omnipro. The speaker is handcut and the crossover dosen't work.

if you want more info mail-me

by the way i'm making an investigation to find the guys so send me any information you have.

Don't worry their is nothing illegal in wath you did.

Marko
Your all a bunch of cry babies. Your just mad because you got sold. The speakers are actually great quality, I have them in my house. Your all just mad because of the way you got sold, or you paid too much, but you are the one who makes the price, not them. Dont cry, dry your eye. And to all my boys out there... S T F O !

JJ
LOL! I got them the same way! But you guys seem to not like them as much as me, I think they are amazing for the $400 I paid!

TR Suuuuucks!
These speakers are cheap. They suck. Horrible. Go get your money back.

Anonymous
I bought the complete 6100 system off ebay for 400.00. The guy I bought it from had sold 100's of items, and had a 100% feedback rating. I have not left his feedback yet, but I will tell all of you, it will be the best feedback I have ever left, because the system is AWESOME. I am 62 years old, and a bit of a musician, and I believe I have a very good ear. I had a Sony SAVA-900 before the TR, and this system definately sounds and looks better. I have also had most brands of Stereo systems thru the years, and nothing has ever sounded better to me.

Anonymous
OK...i've read this whole page and all I hear are winers complaining about getting scammed...is it a scam or not. I just bought them from 2 guys as well but havent tried them out yet are they good TR 8010's

TiGuy
The scam is up to Montréal, Canada by now. My uncle just bought TR-5140 from 2 guy in a Chevy and guest what, a white one ! Look like they need to buy the same color to rip people off. He get them for 355$ Canadiens. The sound quality is not that bad but the process they use to sell them is incredible.

I have been fucked up in 90's with jewelry bought from a guy in a parking lot. He said it was fresh stolen material and he ripped me with a silver chain. Never again for me.

J
Anonymous - it's very easy to increase your feedback rating on ebay without actually selling any items. I do the same thing myself. For 62, I would wouldn't be so nieve.

J
Anonymous - it's very easy to increase your feedback rating on ebay without actually selling any items. I do the same thing myself. For 62, I would wouldn't be so nieve.

After reading all these posts and looking back to the situation of being scammed, I just have to laugh at myself. I actually thought I got a good deal, that I could either use them myself or sell the to make a quick buck. Yup, a white SUV and a white male in his late 30 in front of Toys R Us in Oakland, California.

I am surprised that most of the complaints have been from people who say the same thing, that they have not tried them. Please try them and tell us if they are good or bad quality.

At the moment, I don't have a good system to try on. I tried one (of the pair, I didn't want to open the other box for some reason) on a small JVC player that comes with a pair of crappy shelf speakers. The TR-1400 sounded better than the shelf speakers, but not much better. Of course this is relative, but the shelve speakers started to produce crackling noise at volume 35 vs the TR 1400 started at volume 45.

I am trying to find someone with a good system to try my TR 1400. I will post back my observation.

BTW, I'll be willing to sell them if interested, hopefully for the same price that I paid.

Anonymous
WILL SELL pair of TR-1400 speakers (had the same white van happen to me... yeah i feel stupid)
Anyone want to buy them? I only opened them to actually make sure that i bought speakers and not cinder blocks in a package. Never used them... email me at garson@uwyo.edu

Anonymous
no one is going to but them off of this site unless they are retarded.

g Dubya
Hello,

I am a retard and would like to buy everyones speakers.

email me at Georgebush@whitehouse.gov.org

Thanks

FK TR-Research
My brother in Los Angeles just fell for the same scam today!! He called me up after he bought it from a guy in the van, and asked me to check out the system for him on the Internet.

Luckily, he only paid $120 for the TR-7000, so the ripoff is not as much as others in this forum, but I am still mad about the whole thing.

Does anyone know about the sound quality of these speakers?

Trainers wanted in Montreal

$5-$15 a set + accomodations for the right peeps.

Montreal has the best clubs and t*tty bars in the world!

Anonymous
Guys these speakers sound great. I have beat them and beat them and they still sound great. the price tag said $1500.00 we paid 500 for 4 of them and think they are worth every penny. Go out and buy some JBL piece of crap for more $$ and these will blow them out of the water. Scam or not These speakers rock.

Anonymous

i just bought the tr-900's but i bought 2 of them for 400 bux, here r the specs: frequency - 35Hz to 20KHz +-3dB. 400 watts. sensitivity - 91 dB @ 1 watt/1 meter. impendance - 8 omhs. crossover - 1KHz,3.5KHz. 35 lbs. pretty sick black oak real wood.
specs sound pretty damn good huh?

im from south california (sandiego)

trust me
Unregistered guest
CHEAP CHINESE MADE. SPECS NOT CORRECT. PLEASE SOMEONE TEST THEM. 20 WATT SPEAKERS. NOT UL RATED. COMPONENTS VERY CHEAP. SMALL MAGNETS. THIN PARTICLE BOARD CABINETS. WARRANTY-GOOD LUCK, GUYS IN THE VANS GET THEM FOR 100-DOLLARS A PAIR. I KNOW SOMEONE WHO WORKS AT tHEATER rESEARCH AKA dOGG DIGITAL HE SURE BLABS WHEN HE IS DRUNK.SMOKED TURKEYS TASTE LIKE CRAP.

Quad
Unregistered guest
Will people EVER learn to not be so damned greedy? The white van scam is decades old and world wide. Why does it work for them? easy... PEOPLE ARE GREEDY AND HOPE TO GET MORE THAN THEY PAY FOR...

you get what you pay for. What comes around goes around...

sorry guys, if it sounds too good to be true, IT IS!!

Anonymous

The scam moved to Florida. 2 guys in a Cadillac Escalade came up to me in front of a bank with a deal to good to be true of course, all i had was 200bux of course they took it. But the speakers sound really good.

HTFan
Unregistered guest
It is not so much just that people are too greedy, but moreso that they are gullible if they actually buy speakers they know NOTHING about from guys in a van...

They tried this on my about seven years ago on the highway.
Fortunately I didn't bite. It just seemed too bizarre and I knew I would have no recourse if I didn't like them or there was something wrong with them.

HTFan
Unregistered guest
It is not so much just that people are too greedy, but moreso that they are gullible if they actually buy speakers they know NOTHING about from guys in a van...

They tried this on me about seven years ago on the highway.
Fortunately I didn't bite. It just seemed too bizarre and I knew I would have no recourse if I didn't like them or there was something wrong with them.

Shimmygirl
Unregistered guest
They are here in Rhode Island now too. Just purchased a Theater Research TR-501 Surround sound system from 2 guys in a white van parked outside the bank. They claimed to be drivers for a company called American Sound Systems located in W. Bridgewater, MA. They gave the same scam story; they claimed they had rec'd Xtra inventory and were trying to get rid of it before returning to work. They showed a catalog containg pics & prices of the merchandise claiming it was a $2500 system. Haven't tried the speakers yet. Went on-line and found this website. I wish I had known about this site before purchasing them. We need to put an end to this scam. Even if some of you are happy with your speakers, the tatics they employ to get people to purchase them is ethically wrong and probably illegal. You can't sell merchandise out of the back of a van without a vendor's license. Let's shut this operation down. Stand up for yourselves and help other unsuspecting victims in the process. I have looked into this company and "Theater Research" has complaints online with the BBB. (See Bureau ID #13144954). They also do business under the name "Dogg Digital Audio". Just remember that Apathy is worse than the scam being put upon us. A comment to all those speaker guys out there. I have one word for you: KARMA.

Northen Alberta
Unregistered guest
I bought a set of tr1110 for 200$ CND, they retail at 1998$ USD on the TR website, I took them home and hooked them up to my yamaha amp, they phuckin pound, cystal clear, as loud as you want, and people think this is a scam ? they may be scamming the company, or there boss, but I got a sweet deal, they are awesome speakers, not in a million years could you go into a store a get the same sound for 200$, not even 2000$ CND, someone got scammed, wasnt me

Blow me alberta
Unregistered guest
HTFan your an idiot, shoulda bought em, awesome speakers, TR maybe some scamming company, scammin salesmen, I DONT CARE, i got a good deal, its about time the consumer got something for less, the TR1110 were featured in the Robb report, just because you dont have the balls and the brains doesnt mean others dont. And SHIMMYGIRL who are you getting all high and mighty on you bought the fricken things, karma my a@# lady, "stand up for yourselves and other unsupecting victims" ? if you dont suspect anything your a moron, and should get scammed, THE SPEAKERS ROCK, hurray for the scam mafaca

Shimmygirl
Unregistered guest
Hey "Blow Me Alberta", here's a message for ya.
If you think the speakers rock, then you must be deaf and/or dumb and have no ear for music. The only moron here is YOU! Your probably one of those speaker guys going on this thread to post erroneous information so people get mixed messages about whether the speakers are good or not. They are junk. Theater Research speakers are low end speakers made in China. So Alberta, "Blow me you dumb Phuck". I am trying to warn others out there about the scam. If you like getting scammed maybe I can sell you the Brooklyn bridge. Any interest? LOL

Anonymous

Me and my sis got scamed too. she was on her luch break and i was at school. she calls me up and askes me if i knew anything about the brand or if there any good. Me, what did i know, the guy told me the specs and i thought "to good to be true" but my mouth was slower then my thinking so i never got it out of me, so i hung up with my sis and she ended up buying them, If you guys that sell this stuff read this, im gonna find you, dont worry, when that happens, were gonna have a good talk about how good these speekers fit in your a$$. Untill then where just here with this crap taking up space in the house. Nice job guys, now we have $300 less. BI_ATCH!!!

scammed in sf
Unregistered guest
yep, yep, yep...i'm a schlep, too.

just got a sweet "theater research 5140" surround sound speaker system in the parking lot of the neighborhood safeway for the low, low price of $400. i never go for things like this and the whole time my gut knew it was a scam, but i've been shopping for a surround system for a while and my thrifty side got the best of me.
the "salesman" was a brown haired, double earringed, white guy with a dark haired latina accomplice in the passenger's seat of a green dodge caravan. he said he was an "audio pro" from texas out here in san francisco doing some installs and the shipper had given him the "wrong palette" with some extra equipment on it. he said the last time this happened his boss sold the system and took all the money, so this time he was going to look out for #1 and line his own pockets so he could go to the "ti++y bar".
i was still skeptical, but gave everything a thorough inspection: opened the box, looked at the speakers, examined the warranty. the very official-looking box said $1999.00 (the same as the TR site) so i figured i was getting a good deal. the first thing i did when i got home was look up the system on the net, found this page, and proceeded to get depressed as i read all the scam posts.
i plugged them in to test the sound and found that the system works, and it actually sounds about the same as a cheap 'theater in a box' system at costco, so those who paid $200 or less probably got what they paid for. However, unlike my salesman, i actually am a real "audio professional" (i work in a recording studio) and i have to say that the sound quality is definitely not that of a $1999 system. not a complete rip-off, but most definitely a well planned and executed scam. i've learned a good lesson and i hope someone can learn from my mistake and not make one themselves.
--caveat emptor--

Anonymous

I got the 5140 from the Ebay, there was damage to the grill so I opened it and was curious to see the actual speakers. They are nowhere near the advertised wattage. the Centre has 2 50watt at 4ohm and the satellites have 50watts each at 8 ohm. Theater Research is a ripoff and I certainly believe that they sell low quality stuff thru the van guys so that there is no receipt for warranty coverage. We oughtta file a class action against them. I am going to the police.

Unregistered guest
my friend just bought the tr-110 and he is trying to sell them to me for $800 a pair.he told me he bought them from a guy in a van.so now i wonder how much he really got it for?i went to the theater research and they seem to be very good quality speakers.can anyone tell me if they are any good?thanks

kenny
Unregistered guest
never mind.they are the worst sounding speakers i ever heard.(compare to my bose)what was i thinking.

Anonymous

holly sh1t lucky my bro doesn't have a computer because he wll kck my as when he buys the 5140 for 400 bucks from me.

pad 220 canadan. what a proft.
who's the sucker now.

they look nce.
same story -- 2 guys n a green mnvan n calgary alberta feb 1

Edgar Bennett
Unregistered guest
I had the same thing happen to me last night. Two guys pulled up next to me in a white van and tried to sell me some speakers. So I beat the sh*t out of them and left them for dead.

Edgar Bennett
Unregistered guest
So my partner says "Don't you think we outta' bury them fellers, Edgar?" and I says "to hell with them fellers, buzzards gotta eat, same as worms".

Not Tricked
Unregistered guest
I was approached today 2/2/04 in Raleigh, NC by two guys in a white Chevy van. I was leaving a shopping center near the Raleigh Grande movie theatre. I had the windows down becuause it was sunny. This van pulled up. The driver looked over and said "you might think this is a funny thing to say but we just finished this job and had some extra surround sound speakers. If you want to buy them we'll give you a deal". I asked what kind they were and they said Theatre Research. I work in Engineering in electronics and had never heard of the company. I didn't have any cash on me and thought about my stereo at home and looked at the guy and the van and it just sounded unlawful to me. I told him I didn't need any speakers. He said, "we'll give you a deal, we just going to split the money with the guys back at the shop". When I said I didn't need any he said "oh well, we just saw the car and thought we'd ask". He wasn't very convincing and I had never even seen a license plate like that before in my state. I think it was Ohio. The first thing I did was mention this to an engineer at work who is an audiophile, and he said oh my god, I've heard about that one it's always some guy in a white van, good thing you didn't fall for that one, the circuitry inside is worth about 10 cents. Hence, I am here looking up the scam on the net. I am proud that my sense of honesty worked, thinking that it would be stealing even if somebody had made a mistake.

Not scammed yet.
Unregistered guest
This is the funniest thing I have ever read! Incidentally, I too ran into a couple guys with some TR 5140's as I was filling up my truck at a nearby gas station.

They wanted like $500 for 'em and showed me spec sheets of how they're suppose to be $2k for the set. I was only willing to pay about $300.

Luckily, I called my wife as I was at the ATM to check up on the Theater Research brand.... and found this newsgroup!

Part of me still wanted to buy 'em cause of all the reviews here "I got scammed, but boy do these sound good."

I dunno, as I refused, the guy was willing to sell them for $200 (a buy-it-now price on eBay).

If I run into them again, I probably would just give them $50 bux if they wanna take it. Even if the speakers suck, you can probably replace them and use the speaker box cabinetry.

This is so funny!

Anonymous

Canyon Audio is an authorized rep for these speakers. It looks like they're doing it the right way by offering decent prices, a money back guarantee and a sales receipt. You can find them on the Internet at www.canyonaudio.com. I just bought a set from them and I'm pretty happy with their service.

Anonymous

Hahaha u morons! A friend of mine bought them. They look ok but sound pretty terrible.
Not a great scam but these guys do get credit for there acting skills. They're probably reading these testimonials and laughing right now! PEOPLE, THE BOX ALONE WAS JUST RIDICULOUS!!!
The warranty should say, "Congratulations, youre fucked!". God punished you for your greed :P

P.S. Nice Website!

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 251
here is a nice story on these speaker sales

http://www.wsbtv.com/video/2826847/detail.html

Anonymous

I so happen been aproached by a couple of guys too her in Evanston IL. They ran the same sales line on me and I thought what a great deal this could be. The nicer systems in the store cause a pretty good buck and I always wanted one so I went with it. These people did not force us to purchase these speaker it was our own free will and we need to have a spirit of discernment. I paid $200.00 for my set and if they work great. And if they don't it just a lesson I learned. We need to stop being so gullible. Purchase in the stores and we want have these kind of questions. I say, you pay for what you get. Let this be a experience for all of us and never purchase from a stranger unless he is in a store giving you a receipt and warranty. Lord have mercy on us all.

sloftmoll
Unregistered guest
right speaker guy but u are forgeting you are lieing you stupid @ss. I got hit in SF in the city college parking lot. the guy had some chick with him and was from MA and had a thick boston accent. If i knew what i know now speaker guy would be missing a few teeth.

Anonymous

Haha, one of my friends got taken and when he told me the story I had to do my best not to laugh in front of him.

I was approached back in 1997 but he wouldn't accept my offer of $50.00. I keep hoping to be asked again, but no luck.

Anonymous

I'm in Calgary, Alberta and have a pair of the Theater Reasearch Speakers for sale. Can be heard. Contact me at scott_myran@hotmail.com

Unregistered guest
I feel dumb but no regrets. $160 bought me pair of mint condition TR 2810's at cash converters. I do dj and hooked up to good equipment and not crap receivers (mackie m1400 amp) they pound my cerwin vega dx5's and other jbl subs right out. Decent sound if you know how to buy quality sound products in the long run.

Anonymous

Apparently you don't know "how to buy quality sound products"

Anonymous

do i dare ask how you buy quality sound products? if your last line means anything, you dont have a clue how to buy quality products yourself. try looking beyond radio shack and pyle and explore actual sound testing vs stats method to find what truly works. amateur

Star
Unregistered guest
is $167 canadian a good deal for the TR-1110 speakers, on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D2790376389

Anonymous

Theater Research TR 8200
-4 Satellite speakers (2 front, 2 rear)
-1 sub
-1 main center speaker

is this a good deal for $250 is what i paid for these

also duped
Unregistered guest
yeah, i live in south florida, also acted stupid in a local park and picked up a pair of TR 1610s from a couple of guys in a white SUV, i should have known right away from the mild spattering of "engrish" i later found on the box, bad grammar and such but i didn't notice, it's just funny how the guys use the same pitch to sell to pretty much everyone, i can't complain about the speakers they sound pretty fair to me, i do believe now that i got duped but i know i won't do something like that again, at least for a while, however if i could figure out what chinese company produces this stuff i think i might buy some of the speaker cones alone and rig up some kind of system in my house and my car, i might as well make the best of getting screwed and have the full surround without paying as much for the rest of the system, i knew something was up when my friend got a similar system from the same guys a couple days later, didn't fit with their story, but hey, what's done is done, we're all a bit smarter now

hit in KY
Unregistered guest
Got screwed in Kentucky. Two guys in a white van touting "high end" quality speakers by Theater Research for an unbelievable bargain price. If you have not figured it out yet, the speakers are nothing but total fu(k1ng crap. Anyone on here saying otherwise is a scammer or deaf.

Unregistered guest
DO you think the TR-1400's on Ebay are real?

THis one guy. CLick2digital sells them all the time and i have yet to find negitive feedback about the speakers he sells from TR.

Let me know what you think

Anonymous

I paid $280 to two guys in a burgandy late model Ford Explorer with beige leather interior. It was in the parking lot at the Promenades des Sources, Dollard-des-Ormeaux, Quebec, Canada (today) One guy was french, the other english. The english one spoke with an italian accent and was very young looking. He also spoke very fast (as if on coca1ne or something) and immaturely. The truck reeked of pot smoke as well... I'm not saying that all pot smokers are scammers, just these 2 happened to be smoking some at the time.

Anyway, I've hooked them up, cranked them F*cking loud with all kinds of movies (digital cable and DVD 5.1 Dolby Digital. These things kick a$s! They are clearer and have better power handling than my old crappy speakers I got from future shop :p Plus they have HORNS, not sh*tty tweeters, tweeters are for girls lol!
These are DJ SPEAKERS. If I wanted I could bust down the wall through to the neighbors just by cranking these babies with the full 250W of my Kenwood receiver. Between them they can handle 800W continuous power, that's more than DOUBLE what my lousy receiver can feed them. Time for a new receiver I think ;)

Anyway, I do not feel "had" in the least but it sure is a weird way to sell speakers... I suppose now and then they nail a sucker that pays $500+ for them but to be honest they sound like they are woth AT LEAST $500 CDN.

So, to each their own. Obviously guys who pay $3K for their front speakers in their HT system are POed when they hear speakers AS GOOD as theirs for LOADS LESS MONEY =) hahaha! snobs, serves them right!

Bronze Member
Username: Iamcanadian

Post Number: 15
That just goes to show you kids.

Don't do crack.

Scammed also
Unregistered guest
I just bought the TR-0212 set off ebay. I found this place 2 hours later. I haven't sent the money yet. If I don't, I just get negitive feedback right?
I figure saving $200 is better than receiving negitive feedback, right?

Florida Resident
Unregistered guest
Sale got to South Florida.
I live one hour north of Miami, and when I was in the parking lot of a Home Depot, this guy in a Grand Cherokee came to me with the same story about how he had gotten extra sets from the warehouse and his boss would make all the profits if he took them back to the store. I got a set of TR 1110 for $250. I immediately looked up the brand when I got home and found this little page. Well I went the the Theater Research page and the sell for $999 the pair, so at $250 is still very low price. I tested them with my Denon 5800 and they do not sound bad at all, they seem to reach higher and lower frequencies than my Bose 301's. I felt dumb after reading this, but in reality these speakers are not bad at all.

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 431
yes, but comparing them to Bose 301s is hardly fair at all. Oh, and that website is a "parked" page. They sell Theater Research on ebay, too and not nearly close to the "advertised" price.

Double D
Unregistered guest
HYPOCRITIES

Dargh
Unregistered guest
My curiousity got the best of me today and I gave up $240 cash (they wanted 400) for a set of TR-900 Theatre Research speakers. 2 young caucasian males wearing baseball caps flipped back, stopped in morristown, nj in a blue suburban and pretty much ran through the same ish that everyone in this forum mentioned. They gave a twist that all their merchandise was accounted for except for 1 set of tower speakers and an amp that they wanted to get rid off so they could take the cash and get wasted a nudey bar. They didn't want their boss to make out with the profit from the returned products. I never buy stuff off the street but I thought I could pay a little for the speakers and sell them on e-bay. But when I got online I researched the product and found out the same thing everyone else did that this was a scam. I must say though that the speakers aren't that bad when hooked up to a decent amp. I won't feel bad selling them again. They did get in my car and followed me to the ATM. This is what happens when you buy from the streets.

Open up the box & try
Unregistered guest
I have 4 Sony Front Speakers at home. I plugged only one of these TRs and the sound is definately superior. Try them first with good amp.

Here's a twist though...

Don't you think that this scam is a very good way for TR to distribute their merchandise?

Just my 2 cents.

Dominic
Unregistered guest
2 goods guys came up to me very frendly! they wonted me to by there stuff i had alredy a full home system that i bot last year at futurshop,but they looked bether so i deald them a tr-8200 theater and a pair of tr2500 for 600.00$ canadien. i am so happy for that by they sound mutch bether like a lot bether den my other speaker surround system.now im selling my old system. i thing that futushop is the stealer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.I say tanx to the strong man ho do there best to set that message!!!! I am wathing matrix rith now and its sound soooooo goooood!!!

Unregistered guest
Hell. I just got robed in Mtl today....they got me in a good mood....anyhow, paid 300$ for a Research Digital 5.1 Pro-series III set......christ.....I must admint I feel dumb as hell right now...If so many of you like thses, then I have a set for you.....black_caniche@yahoo.com...
(three guys in a SUV chevy...One skinny quebec folk, one seemed Italian...and another seemed arabic or Italien) by the way....called himself Jean-Rene Roy, and page NB: 514-362-5120 not that this is of any use I guess....but if others encountered them in Mtl lately...please contact me....

Unregistered guest
I got two TR2810's yesterday for 400 dollars at Giant Eagle parking lot. I don't want them. They are still in the box and wrapped. I'll sell them to anyone who wants them as a pair for around 200 dollars or individually (price negotiable). The 200 dollars is negotiable. Contact me at xdadenx@yahoo.com

Username: Jbanacek

Post Number: 1
I bought a pair of TR2800's about 3 months ago. Same deal, some guy in a van. I came home and read up online and said oh well. I have an Onkyo 760, moved them up front, moved the onkyo front speakers to my bedroom. Been using them every since. I can't believe some of you guys that are crying and complaining on the internet, when you haven't even hooked em up. Hook em up and quit yur whinning, lol. I mean I knew damn well I had at least a 50/50 chance I was getting ripped off, but I took that chance. Frankly I was glad they worked as well as they did. It's real hard to justify saying "I got ripped off" when they said, hey I have a special deal my boss doesn't know about <wink>. I mean the guys are basically saying "Hey we have some hot speakers cheap ya want em?" And you said yes. You all are all just as guilty as they are. I laugh at you guys that call the cops. It's like calling the cops cos someone sold you some dirt weed and said it was sensimilla. And I doubt very seriously what they are doing is the lest bit criminal. It's a sales pitch, it's your choice to take it or leave.

I do have one question anyone know what the difference between the 2800's and the 2810's? MontrealVictim do the have aditional hook ups on the back. Mine have the standard two hookups. I heard someone talking about having 4 hookups on the back. Oh man maybe I should have got those instead. I think I got ripped off, I feel like such a dork, bahahaha. Get over it and use em. Peace

Anonymous

Actually people I wouldn't say "they Got me" I paid $300 for the pair and they are absolutley some of the best sounding speakers I have ever heard. Believe me I've worked for places that sell high end audio equipment. I've owned from sony to JBL to Harmon Kardon to Klipsch and I've sold speakers that retail for $12,000.00 a peice. I do not feel ripped off after having paid $300.00 for these. The sound quality is superior (in my opinion) to the sound produced by many floor standing. A good example is go to Best Buy and listen to the best Bose floor standing speakers that they have. And then listen to these speakers. I would take these over those Bose anyday. (Don't forget to look at how much the Bose speakers cost.) Infact after hearing these speakers I would have paid more for them If I had heard them in a store.

smitty22nora
Unregistered guest
I was with a friend of mine when he paid $150 for one of these TR systems. He hooked them up, and they sound just okay. The sub is weak, as it doesn't thump at all or rumble as a woofer should- it just spits out a lot of flat midrange speaker audio that sounds like the hi and mid EQs have been dropped. It really isn't a subwoofer at all...and the sub is where a lot of the power and depth comes from in a good sound system.
Also, one more thing you all should certainly be thinking about, is the credibility of all of the "These speakers absolutely rule! They blow away all of the expensive competition!" posts in this forum. Why should you think about their credibility? Because, do you understand how EASY it would be for the people running this scam, to simply come in here and write little fictional posts, raving about how great their product is? It certainly would make the scam look better, and may even compell people (who haven't yet fallen into this scam) to buy some of the TR stuff if they happen to come across someone in a parking lot. And, the fact that MOST of the "These speakers rule!" posts in here are from lazy "Anonymous" users, makes it look even more like it was just some crappy Theater Research-friendly person who wanted to quickly write up some lies.
Think about it.

Username: Supermanx

MIlwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 1
I am the one who said "i wouldn't say they got me" and the only reason I posted anonymous was because I saw that most people were. I still say that these speakers sound awesome, my entire family braggs to everyone about how great they sound. I have the TR-1100 floor standing speakers. I feel that they have made a good addition to my home theater setup.

Username: Eksine

Post Number: 10
Ricardo you also have a post count of 1. that really makes you look even more suspicious. I considered getting these speakers off Ebay, but so far I'm not convinced if these are good or not. I wish those guys would drive their vans in my neighborhood so i could check them out myself.

The reason people feel scammed is not because they were ONLY lied to. I think it is because people are not paying the same price for the same EXACT speaker plus it is very difficult to return or exchange them. you guys who think people are just whining are either just jerks or involved in the scams.

Username: Supermanx

MIlwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 2
And I suppose that your entire 10 posts make you that much more of a beleivable source here... Um no! Anyway, I never said that anybody was whining. All I was saying is that I did buy a pair from two guys in a van with the same story that everyone else got and even though the story they gave me was bullshit, I like the speakers. Is that okay? I guess I should have asked everyone's permission first huh? Okay, everyone I would like to ask for all of your permission to like the speakers I bought. I understand that I was lied to, and I am not happy about that beleive me. I understand that the speakers are not worth $3,000.00 but I do enjoy the way they sound for the money! SO, is it okay?

One more thing, there is a post on this board that reads something about God punishing us for our greed. He who cast the first stone should be the first one to get slapped! What ever happened to "wow people I'm sorry you got scammed" no you idiots want to sit there acting high and mighty like it is your right to judge. Go ahead and make poeple who already feel bad and stupid for having gotten taken by the white van scam artists and make them feel worse. And the award for Acehole of the year goes to.......
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us