Marantz wins out over Rega Apollo???

Bronze Member
Username: Killamabilla

Clear Lake, TX USA

Post Number: 20
It's just one man's ears of course, but still surprising considering all the CDPs he auditioned.

This certainly goes against the eCoustics common wisdom:

"Rega Apollo: My first try and the most frustrating of them all, the Rega never sounded right in my system, even though I tried changing interconnects, amplifiers, speakers, listening through headphones, etc. At the heart of my concerns was an overly-bright and wiry treble that emphasized sibilance unnaturally and didn't reproduce that all-important "air" or space around the instruments with proper palpability and delicacy. There was also a harmonic leanness and midrange hardness that caused acoustic instruments to sound grey and dry. It all added up to emotionally uninvolving sound with a mechanical quality. The Apollo presented as much extroverted musical detail as any other player in this survey. But the detail didni½t cohere into a solid musical whole and was not authentic in its reproduction of true instrumental timbre and subtlety. As much as I wanted to love the Rega Apollo based on its rave magazine reviews, I could not warm to it and after 6 months sold it at a loss."

Full review (scroll down the thread to Carl Durrenberger posting):
http://forum.stereophile.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=29660&page=0&fpart= all&vc=1

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 906
"At the heart of my concerns was an overly-bright and wiry treble that emphasized sibilance unnaturally and didn't reproduce that all-important "air" or space around the instruments with proper palpability and delicacy"

lol, wow, total opposite then what the Apollo brought to my setup. I have heard many Marantz cd players, and IMO are slow and boring. Did this guy have a defective Apollo? lol. Or maybe he is tone def.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 9512
If only a few moree reviewers shared this opinion, I doubt very much that so many of us would own and enjoy this player.
I'm taking this one on a bell-curve, low end.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5821
I've listened to that Marantz. I recommend that the fellow get his money back on his hearing aid.

Silver Member

Post Number: 908
A agree with Art, it sucks. The NAD 521bee blows it out of the water as well. How can he say the 521bee is "DRY"? lol Like Art said, I think his hearing aid is "Dry".

Bronze Member

Clear Lake, TX USA

Post Number: 22
I wonder if it could be his speakers, which surprisingly seem to be the cheapest parts of his system before he got the Marantz. His amps are nothing to scoff at, especially the Prima Luna.

His comments about the Sony were spot on though, as were his comments about the NAD 521 other than the "dry with vinyl" part.

I have never listened to vinyl on the NAD, nor have I listened to the new xx01 series of Marantz players myself. I do remember being quite impressed with the SQ to price ratio of the Marantz 4300 a few years ago.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5822
I had very poor luck with a Prima Luna Prologue 2 integrated and the dealer I bought it from had a 100% return rate with them. The Prologue 1 was a far better sounding piece at least in my experience. Prima Luna in spite of all the good press is a mixed bag.

I had the old Marantz 4300 and it was a very good player for the bucks but even the NAD C542 blew it away....I figure everybody has different preferences and the gentleman was partial to the sound that the Marantz made....buy and enjoy.

Bronze Member

Clear Lake, TX USA

Post Number: 23
Art, how did you find the Marantz xx01 series compared to the 4300? They are supposed to have better DACs is my understanding.

I had the c542 for a week on loan from a friend and was not real impressed other than its midrange smoothness. Am quite happy with my Apollo but still curious about other players.

Silver Member

Post Number: 911
This just in...Im sitting here reading this months Hi-Fi Choice Magazine, where they have year end Buying Bible section.

CD players... first a comparison between :

Advance Acoustic MCD-203II, Arcam Diva CD73, Cambridge AUdio Azur 740c, Marantz CD6002, Pioneer PD-D6,Saxon Cd300.

Basically they said that the Arcam won hands down, almost in every category. And the listening panel disliked the Cambridge the most. Page 77. December Issue.

And...for the bibles guide Top 4 picks for cd players are :

1.) Rega Apollo
2.) Cambridge Audio Azur 840c
3.) Copland CDA823
4.) Esoteric X-03SE

The Rega is 10 times cheaper than the Esoteric.lol. Literally.

Some notes they made. They found the Naim CD5i to be too sloppy in the bass department, it lacks control, but Tonal neutrality higher up is excellent. The Naim CD5x however is solid all around. Rega Saturn they claim has Good detail, lively Natural bass, and good integration of musical strands without losing Character.

Best cd player up to 1000UK=Rega Apollo
Best cd player above 1000UK=Chord Red Reference

I thought it was a good read.

Bronze Member

Clear Lake, TX USA

Post Number: 24
Interesting!

what did they say about the Marantz? Never even heard of a 6002 model, will have to google that.

Did hear the Cambridge 640 and liked it better than that Stereophile forums guy did.

is there a link to the review you're talking about?

Silver Member
Username: Nmytree

Post Number: 158
No offense to Mr. Carl Durrenberger, but his system is a mishmash of all kinds of different sounding, different designed and different quality gear; which of course includes his speakers.

The problem wasn't in the Rega Apollo, the problem lies in the fact his gear (in regards to sound character) is all over the place. There's no continuity in the components, so there's absolutely no synergy, whatsoever.

I also wonder if any of the specs (you know input voltage, output ....etc) even match up at all or are even remotely compatible. I certainly wouldn't matchup comonents in that way or use those Infinity speakers.

I wonder if Mr. Durrenberger even knows what sound he likes, what sound he wants to achieve and if has a plan? Or does he just buy components, randomly?

The Apollo's treble can be a wee-bit rough around the edges straight out of the box; but no way should be the nightmare he describes.

Simply playing the Apollo (running it in or burning-in) will smooth out that treble; but not in that system. No way.

Well, we all learned the same way, I suppose. Through trial and error we all learned what sound we like and what components matchup correctly to achiev that sound.

Silver Member
Username: Nmytree

Post Number: 159
One of the clues may lie in the fact that he had his PrimaLuna Prologue II, upgraded with Hovland Musicaps. Hovland caps, if my memory serves me right; are well known for a ruthelessly revealing sound signature, which has been described by some as sterile sounding.

Combine that with the buffet of components and you have yourself a headache.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5828
"The Apollo's treble can be a wee-bit rough around the edges straight out of the box; but no way should be the nightmare he describes."

Exactly NMT, I was one of the first folks to describe what I heard from the Apollo on this forum and my first impression (due to being played a new, just of the box player represented as run in) was that of a player that was in my words "a bit rough around the edges". I bought a different player then went back later and heard and heard the same Apollo run in with the same system as before and bought it.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 976
"Best cd player up to 1000UK=Rega Apollo
Best cd player above 1000UK=Chord Red Reference"

Apollo is ~$1,295 (USD)
Chord Red Reference is ~$28,500 (USD)

I have never heard the Chord Red Reference but I am sure I have a better deal with my Saturn ~$2,400 (USD) IMHO.

That and I doubt if I would ever be able to afford a $28K anything that did not have a mortgage or rebate plus 0% note. LOL

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5829
Apollo is $1195...let's not hurry the next price increase.

Silver Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 977
Whoops, you're right Art. Maybe that was the CDN cost.

Silver Member

Post Number: 913
LOL exactly Michael. They only did two price ranges. 1000 dollars and below, and above 1000 dollars. All in UK of course. But in translation, your prices are dead on. I got my Apollo from my dealer, new , sealed, for 1200 taxes in CDN. And that my friend, is why he is my dealer.LOL. You should pick up this issue, it has some really really good stuff. Including the new Monitor Audio Platinum series right up. They say "Monitor Audio has raised the bar with a perfect speaker". Hi Fi Choice-December issue.

Bill- THey said the Marantz was liked by the panel, said they liked its Musicality but found the treble on some recordings to be slightly harsh, and said there was a slight coloration to the bass, thats was noticeable in celo's and low voices. They said it had good detail though, and for its price (was the cheapest by at least half the price) was proof that there are cheaper cd players out there that sound much better than the expensive ones. In the comparison, the panel liked the Marantz better than the Saxon which is 3 times more money. The arcam was the third cheapest, and won in all 5 categories they tested. And said, when it came to bench mark testing, the Arcam was almost perfect. The only flaw they had with the Arcam was that the voices in some recordings seemed too laid back, and withdrawn. I found this as well in my setup, the Arcam was very nice, detailed, and was very good at pace and timing, but lacked the "get up and dance" musicality the Apollo has.

Oh, and for whats it worth, best sounding, and overall dvd player went to the NAD T585. FWIW.

Bronze Member

Clear Lake, TX USA

Post Number: 25
Looked up the 6002 and it's going for 279 quid in the UK, which is about 550 US. Different DAC than the 5001, weighs 10.4lbs to the 5001's 8.8lbs so I'd presume a better power transformer. Not listed on the Marantz USA site for some reason.

http://www.marantz.com/new/index.cfm?fuseaction=Products.ProductComparison&cont= eu&bus=hf

If it's $550 in the UK it'll probably be $400 street if/when it comes to the US.

Wish they'd done a comparison of only sub $1K players, or even sub $500 ones, ha.

Bronze Member

Clear Lake, TX USA

Post Number: 26
Nick:

"slightly harsh" treble and bass with "slight coloration" probably does make sense, I did notice something like that when I compared the 4300 to a NAD c542 a few years ago. But it was not a deal-breaker for me because it wasn't that noticeable that often to my ears, and I appreciated the faster transients and much livelier overall sound. ah well, to each his own I suppose.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9523
If everybody bought up Mike's slightly used gear, you would get much better pricing. But that is beside the point.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 1797
I have to disagree with what the BB panel said about the Naim CD5i having sloppy bass. I find its bass very well controlled, though I have read where one or two other reviewers said the same. I wonder what equipment and cabling was used in their comparisons. I also somewhat agree with "The Apollo's treble can be a wee-bit rough around the edges" and not just out of the box, but I would put a very strong emphasis on the word 'wee' and I found this player was way in front of the NAD C542 in this regard, and the C542 was not as harsh as the CC4300 - all very cdp's good for their prices.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5839
I'm with MR on the Naim CD player the bass is very good. Everything about that player screams listen! Excellent player regardless of price.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2618
The clue is in the way Mr. Durrenberger describes the rag (and all others) presentation. He's not interested in the music. He's interested in the reproduction. This is the killer extract:

didn't reproduce that all-important "air" or space around the instruments with proper palpability and delicacy

There is nothing important about 'air' surrounding instruments. It doesn't happen in real life, though I accept you can place instruments in space when in a sparse setting. Any live band or orchestral piece makes it very difficult to open up sopace or air between instruments in real life. When it does the performance usually suffers because the instrumentalists can't hear each other properly.

This is a classic and clear case of a round earth listener listening for stereoscopic clues, although I am surprised he didn't think the whole was cohesive, which is usually the corollary of not giving the instruments that air and space. It just sounds like an unfortunate system mismatch to me.

Regards,
Frank.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2619
By the way, Mike, regarding the Chord Red Reference. It's a b1tch. I have to listen to it every week int he shop.

I then go home and my Naim CDX2 ($6000) just isn't good enough.

It's a real b1tch.

Silver Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 995
Frank, I have heard some very expensive systems, $40K and up which provided some nice audio reproductions. However I think my system pleases me in ways that those did not, and not only by being much less expensive.

So perhaps I am fortunate not have heard the Chord Red Reference. LOL

P.S. I heard a Hemi-Cuda once when I owned a small block Dodge Charger, so I get the b!itch part of once you heard something better.

Bronze Member

Clear Lake, TX USA

Post Number: 27
Frank,

what's a "round earth listener?" Just curious. Never heard that phrase before.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2372
The opposite of a "Flat-Earth listener."

It doesn't surprise me that the person prefered the Marantz over the Apollo. Consider that he owned Marantz CD players in the past. Marantz has a slow, full bodied presentation. Its laid back, soft on top, and bass is bloated. These are my opinions of Marantz gear.

In contrast, the Apollo is fast paced. This can make it sound harder, due to not having exaggerated attack and decay times. The lushness so to speak, is cut away in favor of accuracy.

The Apollo seems bright due to Marantz's softness.

Bass seems lean due to Marantz's bass bloat.

If a Marantz CD player is his reference, then it makes perfect sense that he finds the Apollo to be hard, bright, dry, dull, and in your face.

Username: Smwick

B.C Canada

Post Number: 10
I just finished auditioning a Marantz SA8001 which is the best in their HI-FI line up and costs $670.00 over the CD5001 vs the Rega Apollo. I found the Apollo to be far more musical and easier to listen to. I personally found the bass to be deeper and tighter with the Apollo and vocals were more clear and more detailed as well. I've spent about 10 to 12 hours auditioning them and every time I switch back to the apollo it puts a smile on my face. Just my .02

Bronze Member

Clear Lake, TX USA

Post Number: 28
Steve: what is the rest of your system composed of? Am wondering what kinds of systems bring out the most in the Rega, that's all.

Bronze Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 11
Bill, I have a HK AVR445 so not the best amp around but it's ok; Totem Sttaf speakers; Monster Z1 reference speaker cable; XLO HTPRO interconnects; Tributaries silver series power cable. My next up grade will be an integrated amp which should complete the deal. I just bought the Apollo today by the way:-). So even with a so so amp the Apollo was superior. I can't wait to audition a quality amp now that I have the Apollo.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9542
Let it run in Steve, it gets even better!

Silver Member

Post Number: 943
Congrats Steve, great purchase. I know i have been loving my Apollo. Nuck is right, give it a good solid run in. It gets even better.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5846
Welcome to the Apollo Club Steve...we're a big group that's just gettin' bigger.

Bronze Member

Clear Lake, TX USA

Post Number: 29
Nice speakers! The HK is no slouch either.

Bronze Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 12
Thanks guys. I bought a demo with about 80 hrs on it so I guess it's close to it's run in period. I was going to audition a Cambridge 740C but when I was at the store someone who just bought a 740C a week earlier was bringing it back for repairs. I know thats not a fair indication of it's quality but it doesn't make me feel good about it. Plus I got the Apollo for almost the same price as a 740C. I was told to cut squash balls in half and place them under the cdp to dampen vibration, what do you think?

Gold Member

Post Number: 9544
Sure, Steve, why not?
Pick balls that fit your decor.
I have the Apollo on tip-toes, but just for appearance, the athletic stuff works great.

Bronze Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 13
Nuck, what are tip-toes?

Gold Member

Post Number: 9547
pointy metal cones.

try this read, Steve.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/vibrapodse.html

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2375
Steve,

The Apollo is a great CD player. IMO, its by far the best player you can buy for the money.

As far as using it with 'inferior' amplification goes... I had an NAD 320BEE for the first 2-3 months I owned my Apollo. I could hear a huge upgrade in sound from my old NAD CD changer.

Put better amplification behind it, and it'll definitely pay off. You've got a great system, but it'll get so much better with better amplification. The Sttafs are a great speaker that need good clean current to run and sound properly. While H/K makes a solid and honest product, it doesn't have - and nor is really intended to - what it takes to bring out all that potential of the Sttafs and Apollo.

My appologies to your wife if I'm fueling your insanity.

Bronze Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 14
Thanks nuck that was a good read. Stu, my wife is very happy with the new player I think she wanted it more than I did, well maybe not. As far as an integrated amp with the Apollo and the Sttaf's would a Mira3 be my best bet?

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 2622
Bill,

Round earth systems are more concerned with the technical aspects of reproduction. Typically they are fantastic at reproducing air around instruments, providing each instrument a certain amount of space around it, a wide and deep soundstage and tonally very revealing and accurate.

Flat earth systems tend to major on the musical performance as exemplified by the traits of pace rhythm and timing. A flat earth system is more concerned with getting across the musical message of the performance in the recording rather than telling you about the recording.

Those are the polar opposites. Each system is put together lovingly by dedicated audiophiles and neither is completely right nor completely wrong.

On the subject of Marantz, here's a little story for you. My wife and I went into a dealer recently where they had the new top of the range Marantz (£5000 per piece of SACD, Pre and Power) playing through a pair of the new £5000 KEF Reference speakers, all wired up with Nordost's new top of the line ODIN (£10,000 interconnect plus cabling!) and wired into an Isotek Sigmas power distribution block (also uses Nordost cabling internally).

He insisted on showing and playing it to us though I warned him I was sceptical since generally I don't much get on with the (round earth) Nordost presentation, but we sat down for a listen hoping to be impressed, expecting to be disappointed.

We weren't disappointed. We were horrified. Now it could be any of the assembled bits that could have contributed to this but by golly my wife and I couldn't believe the lack of quality, both in round earth and flat earth terms. I was simply gobsmacked. Norah Jones never sounded so much like a hardened whisky drinking smoker than this (she's neither). It was horrible. My wife said nothing but I saw her face fall. I held out for a little while and then declared that I hated it (couldn't help myself). She turned to me with a 'Thank God, I thought it was me' and then we nicely put it to the man that it wasn't for us. He was OK about it and unfortunately the Krells next to the Marantz weren't switched on so a comparison wasn't on since the Krells would have been cold (the Marantz was well warmed up).

It did one good thing for me. It validated what I deal in at the shop. Being at the shop so much I get less time to hear brands outside the shop nowadays, so this was a useful if depressingly familiar result.

I discussed the experience with the guys at the shop and they suggested that probably it was the Nordost which did the most damage since they, like me, don't get on with what it does. I wonder if they were right. Either way it was so shockingly bad, and yet here was this guy who genuinely thought it was fabulous. He had no illusions that we would be interested so he had no reason to try it on. It just goes to show how one man's meat is another man's poison.

Thought I'd share...

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Clear Lake, TX USA

Post Number: 30
thanks for the explanation and anecdote, Frank. I think I'm beginning to understand now.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 1689
Any comments on the Marantz DV7600 Universal Player for $399 as it relates to it's audio prowess.

http://us.marantz.com/Products/397.asp

It's the least expensive Marantz unit that employs it's fancy HDAM circuits & has an upgraded chassis.

http://www.marantz.com/new/index.cfm?fuseaction=Front.Spotlight&cont=eu&bus=hf&s potlight_id=9

Any better CD players in the sub-$500 category?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1690
He's not alone: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/my-marantz-sa8001-vs-rega-apollo-impressions-25 2454/

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5896
Appeared to be well thought out.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1691
What, Art?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5900
Juat because I don't agree doesn't mean that the other person doesn't have well founded reasons for their preference...not to mention his own ears and associated gear.

I ain't tradin' for a Marantz in the future but if someone else prefers it...hey they have to listen to it!

Daltonlanny appears to be giving an honest opinion based on listening...what more can you ask. BTW it seemed as though he still preferred the Apollo although I didn't follow the thread all the way through.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1696
"Appeared to be well thought out."

I'm sorry Art, I thought you might be referring to my DV7600 inquiry above, that it might be "well thought out".

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5904
Oops...

Silver Member
Username: Nout

Post Number: 108
Hahaha
Funny thread, I had to laugh out loud.
The disbelief, the outrage! : Ecoustics (digital) sweetheart, the Rega Apollo beaten by a Marantz?
No way!
The guy has to be deaf, who does he think he is?
etc. etc.
(it's just an opinion of a guy on some forum, who cares?)

I am a Marantz guy myself and I agree the CD5001 is a great machine.
BUT, I wouldn't say it beats the Rega Apollo.
Nor would I say any of the mentioned cd players sound crap, in fact the differences are clearly exaggerated.

Frank made an interesting observation about round earth systems and flat earth systems.
But do I care what system I have?
I most certainly am not concered with the technical aspects of reproduction, I listen to music only and yes I own a marantz set.
Is this a contradiction?

What is true: a small budget can buy you a Marantz set with a better than decent sound-stage and since I listen to classical a lot this must be the reason I like my Marantz very much.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9557
Welcome back, Nout.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1700
Picked up the DV7600, I'll post my impressions once it's up & running.

I've got a nice DV4400 for sale if anyone's interested. Feel free to PM me.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5912
Congrats on the new player Christopher!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1702
I'm not sure if I qualify as a "Marantz Man", but I really like most of the stuff they produce and the specs & reviews of the DV7600, not to mention the price, convinced me it was a worth while investment. I've always admired the build quality of the higher-end Marantz units.

The better chassis, better DACs, and HDAM ICs should yield better audio results than my DV4400...I think?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5914
I had 2 DV6400's at one time. They were very nice players.

Bronze Member

Clear Lake, TX USA

Post Number: 32
CM, would love to hear you do a head to head comparo with say a NAD 542...or, better yet, the Apollo.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1704
"CM, would love to hear you do a head to head comparo with say a NAD 542...or, better yet, the Apollo."

Feel free to PM me when you're ready to send me either of those units.

I haven't heard the Apollo yet, but I've owned, or still own, these various players over the past few years:

The Cambridge Audio 540D
The Harman/Kardon DVD37 (still own)
The Marantz DV4400 (still own)
The NAD T512
The NAD L53
The Pioneer DV578A

Not exactly top-tier audiophile players, but all very respectable performers. There have been others too.

I've stated in the past that I've had a hard time discerning between players, I'm hoping the DV7600 will change that. The best I could muster up in way of an opinion to this point has been observations about build quality, ease of use, noise, etc., but I can't say I've ever heard a player (even my overlooked $40 Apex AD2500) that hurts my ears the same way I can say I've heard a pair of speakers that hurts my ears.

Bronze Member

Clear Lake, TX USA

Post Number: 33
There's no local dealer who'd let you bring in your 7600 to compare with their top CDPs? Surely in NYC...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1705
In Manhattan, perhaps, but in Brooklyn, no. And I might be wrong, but I don't know of any NYC dealers that allow for in-home demos.

It's a little like playing Russian-roulette, albeit with an educated guess.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1706
I'm sorry, I misread that post Bill (no coffee yet), sure I can schlep the Marantz into Manhattan, but I'm not sure I really want to do that at this point.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1707
Upload
That's the new edition to the family in the middle.
Upload
A side view to show the substantial difference in size between the 10.1 lbs DV7600 & 4.6 lbs. DV4400. The DV7600 certainly feels like it's got more packed into it.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5918
Please tell me that the player isn't usually sitting on the receiver.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1708
No Art, I just haven't found a proper home for it yet.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5922
Whew!!! I figured not but had to ask. Another website I frequent they often plie their gear up like that....then wonder what happened when it fails or doesn't sound good.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1709
I just stacked them to give a sense scale.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9565
Good call, Art. I know Chris better than that, but always stick to basics.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1715
I'm looking to build some plinths out of some butcher-block & spikes.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 5936
Sounds good Christopher...hopefully we'll see some pics when the project is complete.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9574
I see hardwood 2" thick at Home Deepot all the time. Always thought I should grab a pair.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1718
This is kinda what I'm looking for http://cgi.ebay.com/MICHIGAN-MAPLE-BLOCK-CUTTING-BOARD-BUTCHER-BLOCK-C_W0QQitemZ 110211701176QQihZ001QQcategoryZ46282QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Gold Member

Post Number: 9582
That looks pretty solid.
JV uses a full butcher's block/stand for the Scout. Must weigh like 300 lbs
I need one of those

Gold Member

Post Number: 1722
I just stumbled across this http://www.timbernation.com/ampstand_PopUp.cfm

This stuff looks very good.