Older Yamaha "A" series Integrated Amps: Worth Buying?

Username: Maxximtl

Denver, CO. USA

Post Number: 2
I have run across a Yamaha A-700 integrated amp for sale. Asking price is $80. I have been unable to find much useful info. on this amplifier, other than it was produced in the mid 80's. Are they worth buying? Is this a quality amplifier? Does it have the bright sound that newer yamaha's have? Is the price right?

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
The A-700 was produced as Yamaha was moving from a specialty company to a mass market company. It does not sound like today's product but it doesn't sound like classic Yamaha either. The biggest problem with buying used Yamaha is the non support Yamaha has given their old products as far as parts. Call a repair shop that does Yamaha and ask about avaialablity of mechanical items like switches and controls that might wear out. Transistors and capacitors are fairly interchangeable and should be no problem. On the other hand, for $80 buy it, play it till it stops and then take it out and shoot it.

Username: Maxximtl

Denver, CO. USA

Post Number: 3
Thanks for your input. I guess for $80 it is almost disposable. It sounds like I will need to be very diligent in making sure everything is operational.

Do the switches and controls often need replacement on these older amps?

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Hard to tell. Most everything was still a mechanical device back then and mechanical things do wear out. I worked in stores that had service departments and most people would simply buy a new amplifier instead of waiting for the part or paying the repair cost. Probably anything that needed repair would, at this point, make an $80 amp a disposable item.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Check the thread on the NAD 3140. Its a bit newer than the A-700 and look at the problems most of these guys are having.

Username: Bigmighty

Gaithersburg, Maryland Usa

Post Number: 1
I got a yamaha jx series 65D amp for a song at a moving sale. Still sounds great and everything still works on it.I know they stopped making them in the early eighties. Well, someone wants to buy it. Says he's a collector, but didn't make an offer yet. Do any of you good people know if this amp is worth anything or is this dude full of it? Any response will be helpful.

Username: Bigmighty

Gaithersburg, Maryland Usa

Post Number: 2
Sorry guys, I'm an idiot. The amp I spoke of is a guitar amp. Didn't mean to confuse anyone , but if anyone knows about guitars or amps and can answer my question , free free.

Unregistered guest
I have Yamaha A-700. Great quality! I is hard to find it specs but aproximately s/n ratio 105-110 db, power output 200-250w on 6om. A month ago I've overheated it and to fix it big problem now. To get similar quality you need to spend for new amplifier about $800-1000. One guy took a look inside this amplifier and said that today only $1000 amplifiers have such components.

SRV Malmsteen
Unregistered guest
I have a great bass ampflier. Yamaha JX30B. It is actually made for bass, but but I use it as guitar ampflier. Together with POD XT I have a great type of guitar sound. Old bass ampflier are very nice for guitar too and specially for Heavy Rock and Texas blues type for sounds..

Yamaha specs
Unregistered guest
Anyone hear of Yamaha A-420. Any good?

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

The A-420 was produced early in Yamaha's time in the US. It was a good but low powered amp that had a typical early Yamaha sound. Read my comments above about repairs on the older Yamaha equipment. Yamaha no longer supports these amplifiers with parts.

Unregistered guest
I bought a Yamaha sj55hr guitar probably 12 to 14 years ago from a dealer. He had lost the case and had no info ont the guitar at all. It looks exactly like a tobacco colored telecaster. It has two alnico pickups with a pull switch. I love the guitar but I am very curious about the history of it. I have never seen another like it. It is Japanese made and of very good quality. Could someone please e-mail me at williamsallen@hotmail.com with the story on my Yamaha tele. Thanks

Anonymous

I have an A-700 which I purchased new back in the early 80's. Only one $50 repair in all this time. Back in the day I used it to do dances at my high school. Clean sound, simple design. $80 is a steal. Still using it daily.

Unregistered guest
I have an a-700 and swear by it, the spec's are amazing its cleaner than any of my old marantz stuff .I have had it for over 10 years and have run it hard for hours on end and it just won't quit.I have the owners manual and the stuff is all oversized,giant caps,filters ,power supply you can't buy stuff like this anymore.Put it with some high end speakers and you will have a sound not many people have at any price.

Unregistered guest
I have yamaha A-950 amp and y am fully satysfyed wyth yt,as y am usyng the same amp wyth mordernshort MS-35 professyonal speakers, y also have yamaha prof cd players cd-1610 and eq 700 equylisers, now as i am changing my house iwish to sell to the genuines users or buyers who know the real quality, all this are in very mient condition .and also i wish to know about the technical details for yamaha a-950 amp. anyone who can help me pls.

Anonymous

please,
I am with the research of the characteristics of the mains transformer of an amplifier Yamaha a-420. Thank you in advance
kidone@free.fr
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us