Marantz SR5400 vs. Harman-Kardon HK3485 for stereo listening

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 1336
I'd like your input.

Is it worth switching from a very good sounding Marantz SR5400 HT receiver to a Harman-Kardon stereo receiver?

The Marantz has a DIRECT SOURCE mode that streamlines the signal for stereo listening, but would switching to a receiver specifically designed for stereo, like the HK, result in an even cleaner signal path?

Silver Member
Username: Shawnharman

Post Number: 138
well chris why would you want to switch if the marantz is already very good sounding, The H/K IMO is a very good stereo receiver, the difference though would be for you to decide. I would make the move just cause I love H/K but you might be different.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2111
Chris,

If you're trying to get away from the HT receiver, I'd say skip the stereo receiver and go to an integrated amp.

Personally, I don't care much for the Marantz sound. I have no idea what you're looking for to make a good reccomendation.

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 486
Do you have to keep the HT aspect of your setup? If so, there are a few brands out there that make surround receivers that do very well in the two channel audio department. Not as good as a integrated amp though, but can be close.

Silver Member

Post Number: 139
stu an nick are right, I completely spaced out an integrated amp, or if your receiver has pre-outs you could always hook up an external amp, and still have your HT.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1337
I'm through with HT (for now).

The SR5400 has been good to me, and I like the sound, especially in the aforementioned SOURCE DIRECT mode, but it is a 6.1 CH. receiver, and I don't use all those other channels any longer.

I think I can get about $200 for the Marantz, and I can pick up the HK, new, for about the same price. There are several used NAD & Cambridge Audio integrated amps in the same price range, but I think I'd rather stay with a receiver for now.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 8784
If I want a stereo receiver with$ in mind, that HK is the one for me.
BUT, I always liked and had HK.

Silver Member

Post Number: 140
then I would go with the H/K, you wont be dissapointed.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2112
Chris,

I'm not using my NAD 320BEE and was going to Audiogon it. I'd rather deal with someone I know, relatively speaking. PM me if you're interested.

Silver Member

Post Number: 488
There you go Chris, Stu will take care of u. Buy the NAD man.

Silver Member
Username: Chicomoralessxm

Dutch islesCaribbean

Post Number: 180
Stu do you anything else for sale? :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1346
But to get back on point, in general do you think there's a clear advantage in owning a stereo receiver, over a multi-channel receiver, when listening in stereo?

Silver Member

Post Number: 489
I can't tell the difference between my receiver and NAD's two channel receivers at all, for two channel listening.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2114
I'm sure their are some pros and cons. I haven't compared stereo and surround receivers side by side, so I'm not sure.

The advantage to a surround receiver is that you can bi-amp. You'll have four channels instead of two. You can multi zone. It has more going on under one roof, thus increasing the possibility of noise. More money gets tied up in bells and whistles rather than the essentials. In a $500 surround receiver, less money went into the amplification than in a $500 stereo receiver, theoretically anyway.

The stereo receiver doesn't have all the DSP modes, DACs, bass management, channel level software, and so on. These things aren't free, and therefore add to the overall cost. Some stereo receivers have a few of these features, but they're more the exception than the rule.

An integrated amp one ups the receiver by not having a tuner built in. It doesn't share its power supply with anything other than a pre-amp. It doesn't have as many things that'll introduce more noise into the system. It doesn't have an antenna trying to pull in radio waves, and also inadvertantly pulling in more EMI and RFI.

Then there's seperates...

I'm not saying every stereo receiver will sound better than every surround receiver, or every integrated will sound better than every receiver, and so on. But all things being equal, its highly unlikely a $500 receiver will sound better than a $500 integrated amp from the same manufacturer.

Gold Member
Username: Stefanom

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 1001
I can't say I'd recommend the HK stereo receiver. Their multichannel AVR is every bit as good in terms of SQ (if not better), and its bass management and DACs are fairly useful to me. I felt going from the 3380 to the 140 was a decent upgrade in sound (deeper bass response, superior dynamic capability), in spite of the fact that I lost 30 watts of power.

Going to a good integrated amp, well that depends on your priorities in sound. I would highly suggest auditioning before buying though. If it makes you feel any better though, I know how you feel wasting a few channels. I'm contemplating upgrades myself, but every time I work out a potential plan, it gets pricey... for all practical purposes I'd have to completely rebuild the system.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1350
Thanks Stephen, that helps a lot.

I think before any major equipment upgrade, I must upgrade my listening environment.

That's one reason I continue to make mostly lateral moves, I just can't justify any big upgrades until then. Hopefully that will change in the near future.

Stephen, what upgrades are you contemplating?

Gold Member

Post Number: 8788
I like what Stu said.
And I like your interest in your listening room, CM. I hope that changes to your liking soon.
Cannalone at table 5.

A stereo receiver, especially a newer one, should hands down trump a multi channel unit.
Should.
2 channels, same power supply, not so many bells and whistles to compliment(and pay for, licensing and so on).

BUT, an Outlaw has all the cards in the spokes features(like bass management) and can deliver the goods.
Question is, how far do you go with a receiver, with printed boards(non-repairable), disposable power supplies and questionable warranty coverage and repair timelines?

This is where your hard earned bucks come into play.
He chose...wisely. Indiana Jones

Gold Member

Post Number: 1351
Should Nuck, but Stephen's post would lead to a different conclusion.

Don't most, if not all, receivers, integrated amps, and amps use printed circuit boards to one extent or another these days?

I know if money wasn't any option it would be McIntosh & B&W all the way around (I think?), but it is, so it ain't happening any time soon.

Silver Member

Post Number: 490
Nuck - A Stereo receiver should trump it, but with the "Higer End" audio companies making receivers these days with the whole "Music First" idea behind them, the separation in quality between two channel Receivers and Multi-Channel receivers has closed considerably, if not all together. Companies like H/K, NAD, Rotel, Arcam are just some that build their receivers with this in mind. Going from a H/K receiver to a H/K two channel receiver, in my mind wont produce better quality sound to most. Going of course from a Yamaha receiver to a Rotel two channel receiver, yeah the Rotel will trump it. But within the same Manufacturer's audio items, the day where the two channel receiver kills the A/V receiver is gone. That said, I agree with Stu and Nuck on the fact that technically speaking the A/V receivers should be worse, but somehow those Engineers have found ways to eliminate the A/V receiver two channel failures. Chris, Going from your Marantz A/V receiver to the H/K two channel receiver may improve your sound a wee bit, but Nuck's warranty coverage remark is very true, so if you upgrade I would go Integrated Amp, or separates. Even adding a power amp and using the Pre's on your A/V receiver should give you an improvement as well. This post, is based on my opinion of course.

Gold Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 1002
I've gone through several lines of thought Chris. Complete replacement; Outlaw + External DAC; higher end multi-channel receiver (ala Cambridge Audio, NAD, Arcam).

Complete replacement would obviously be expensive. But I have more money now than when I started building my current system. As such, I could piece my way to something better. Start with a good external DAC, new, full range speakers, and then switch amplification to a good integrated or perhaps even separates.

Outlaw + DAC would be a more reasonable alternative, and I suspect that going with a higher end AVR would be comparable, albeit possibly more expensive. I'm just not sure either would give me exactly what I'm looking for.

The problem with all of this though is that I'm not especially unhappy with the sound I have now. Certainly if my system was more dynamic, detailed, and enveloping, I wouldn't complain. But gaining in those areas without losing what I already have is an expensive proposition. As such, I'll take my time doing research and listening before I consider plunking down cash.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2115
Chris,
The room has to be appropriate. It can easily make or break a system. But, you don't need a dedicated listening room, all sorts of sound panels, etc. to get good results.

Some of the biggest things to keep in mind are speaker placement, listening position, and using everyday things to help the room along. Rugs, curtains, couches, and bookshelves (with books) can go a very long way.

Do you have -
hardwood floors
uncovered windows
speakers up against the wall
listening chair against the back wall
a TV between your speakers
a shallow room that doesn't extend back very far

These things can cause a lot of bad reflections which will mess up the signal.

I saw in the system pics thread that you had a TV in between your speakers. Try covering it with an area rug or a comforter. The soundstage should deepen.

Are your speaker stands spiked? If you've got wood floors and don't want spikes on them, I've got a cheap and very effective solution.

How are they sitting on the stands? Blu Tack?

Are your CDs clean? Try cleaning them with Pledge Multisurface anti-static, even if they are clean.

Little things like these add up. No voodoo pseudo-science, just some easy to do and inexpesive tweaks that'll help maximize what you've got. There's more where that came from.

Gold Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 1003
Nuck: "Should" of course is the operative word.

With my situation, I lost a little bit of raw power, and gained bass management and a decent DAC in the process.

However, some things to consider are:

1. Thanks to bass management, I gained significantly more power at the amp end. All the energy that would have been wasted by the amplifier trying to produce bass energy is no longer wasted. I suspect this more than made up for the measly 30 watts of power. This certainly gave me much more dynamic capability.

2. Having a decent quality DAC to plug in my Airport Express made my life a lot easier. I gained a quality source that happens to be convenient.

3. I suspect that the HK stereo receivers in particular just aren't all that great.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2116
A few more things -

If your speakers are bi-wirable, have you replaced the jumpers with speaker wire?

If you have a pre-out/main in loop, are you using the U bars, or are you using interconnects?

The metal U bars should be replaced with interconnects. Even if you don't believe in cables, this should make sense. If your interconnects weren't shielded and uncovered, how much EMI and RFI would they pick up? That's what the metal U bars are doing. I replaced my Bryston's U bars with an Audioquest jumper. Its a very short interconnect made specifically for this. Easily the best $25 upgrade I've made to it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1352
I've moved the Marantz/Infinity set-up to a small spare room (where I do most of my listening), and have moved the Boston Avidea/Mission set-up to the living room for now.

I would NEVER go down the voodoo pseudo-science road. I need to have a room, preferably a basement, where I can listen at levels I enjoy without worrying about the neighbors. Apartments & loud music don't mix well.

And I understand & use most of the common sense tweaks (I have haunted this board for some time), I particularly would like to try this http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/ikea_hol_table_e.html .

Gold Member

Post Number: 8793
CM, sure the printed boards are a way of life. However, a small board for a srereo unit is not the same as replacing the integral board of a multi-channel unit, which means it is dead, get another receiver.
Some boards can be repaired/replaced sometimes.

I just can't get my head around the HT thing.
Sure, I had one, with a (surprise) HK receiver and Psb speakers all around.
The receiver never hiccupped.Even really loud, with demanding and varied speaker loads.

In stereo...just OK.
The stereo seperation was not as complete as I would have liked, the detail was fine. I have no imaging, the staging was acceptable.
Adding an amplifier(Rotel) was better for seperation, but by then it was looking like a yard sale, so I read a bit and saved pennies for the one I have now.

Short story?...Save the pennies.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1353
Will do.

Silver Member

Post Number: 492
Nuck- Im going to keep my HT setup together for the new house, but im itching for an all together separate two channel system. After the wedding, it is game on my friend. I will be looking for some advice when the time comes. Christopher, that upgrade virus you have is getting worse every day I bet.lol. It is what makes this hobby so fun to begin with. Expensive, yes, but fun. I can think of worse things to spend money on, so why not audio.mmMMMmmmMMmmm audio...mmMMMm.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8796
Nick, you can build a great stereo for not much money, but it takes a ton of time and shopping.
Including yard sales.
The hard part is the music itself.

The rest?
Well, don't listen to me!
Let the shopping begin when you have a set room and a guideline in mind for budget and purpose.

I have recently spent time with a system that can play rock, jazz, easy listening, Elvis, Sinatra, and anything else you could ever want, on vinyl or cd.

It ain't cheap.
It ain't pretty.

It just plays.

Plunk down 15k CDN and you can have one too.

It starts, yes, starts, with Anthony Gallo 3.1 speakers...The best speakers that I have ever heard in a lively room.
Insert your credit card here...

Of course, you should go shopping with Art...
That guy can yard shop!

Silver Member

Post Number: 493
lol. Sounds good to me. 15 grand can be done. When the time comes, it probably will be done.

Gold Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 1004
"Do you have -
hardwood floors
uncovered windows
speakers up against the wall
listening chair against the back wall
a TV between your speakers
a shallow room that doesn't extend back very far "

I'm fortunate that I use an LCD TV, don't have hardwood floors, uncovered windows, and speakers up against a wall.

Room is a little shallow though, and the couch is up against the back wall. Fortunately, I've developed the poor mans solution to this issue. Get a big quilt or blanket, and stuff it behind your head. Not perfect by any means, but it helps to an extent. Considering the rest of the room is well padded (couple couches, thick carpeting, covered windows, speakers no less than 6 feet away from side walls), I'm actually OK considering I'm an apartment dweller.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8801
Attaboy, SM. The wall hanging behind your head really does make the whole thing righter sonically, yes?

Using the double album wrapped around the back of your head proves it out as well, though not quite permanent.
Rush-Exit Stage Left would be a fashion statement though...

Gold Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 1005
It definitely helps, although its still a little ways from the results I get from the cup your hands behind your ears method.

I'm still working on getting my SO to let me hang some other stuff behind the speakers...and the ceiling...and well... yeah

Someday....

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2118
"The wall hanging behind your head really does make the whole thing righter sonically, yes?"

Are you serious or being sacrastic Nuck? You DON'T want a wall directly behind you. The sound reflects at you and causes problems. Put the back of your head directly against the wall. You'll hear echoing almost like a ringing sound. Then again Nuck, you may not be able to tell if its the music or your tinnitis.

What cupping your hands or wrapping an album cover behind your neck is doing is stopping the reflection directly behind your head.

Put a heavy blanket, rug, tapestry, etc on the wall to help absorb the sound. If you've got a little more room, a bookshelf filled with books is far better.

Gold Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 1006
I think he was referring to the heavy blanket that I use behind me to deal with reflections.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 738
The gatefold behind the head or your hands cupping your ears from behind is to check for secondary side reflections which are interfering with the SQ. The album should be held like a "V" extending forward from behind your head. Holding it above your head will identify whether your ceiling requires any treatment. If it sounds better with the album in place the room needs acoustical assistance.

To measure whether there is any negative influence from the back wall reverse your hands when cupping your ears, holding you hands just below your temples, palms facing the rear.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8808
That was serious, Stu.
With/without the wall treatment would be night and day.
Space is limited, you gotta back to the wall so beit, but treat the room just like SM.

Bronze Member
Username: Sobeeatch

Post Number: 32
I would consider the Marantz more robust and revealing, depending, of course, on the speakers. But you really need to lissten to both. Marantz seems to consistently get the mids right. But HK is no slouch in this area.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2130
I agree with JJ to an extent. Marantz has always gotten the mids right, and IMO this is their strongest suit.

I've always found Marantz to be pretty slow sounding and a little too smooth. It's almost a lazy presentation. Bass isn't very tight, deep or fast. I don't know if the top end is rolled off, or if my ears are playing tricks on me becuse its a little warmer than I prefer.

The upper end Marantz gear addresses these issues pretty well, but not fully. They still sound a little slow and warm to my ears. The cost of their upper end gear is way too much IMO.

I can't really contrast it with H/K because I haven't heard enough H/K gear in systems and rooms that'll trully make it a fair comparison.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
Warm is a great description Stu. I find that the upper echelon Marantz's do a much better job with the high and low ends. But I agree that the lower entries seem to roll off the top end-just a bit too soft-especially noticeable on symbols and the like.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
Excuse me, that would be cymbals-been a long day and it's not even over.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1354
Just to reiterate, not only Marantz vs. HK receivers, but an HT receiver vs. a stereo-specific receiver, for stereo listening.

Is it worth an upgrade?

Silver Member

Post Number: 506
IMO- NO. If you upgrading from a Marantz receiver to a H/K two channel receiver that is.

In the future if your looking at upgrading to a higher end piece of equipment in the two channel receiver department, then yes, it is worth it.

For now, keep the Marantz Chris.

Gold Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 1017
What are you looking to improve?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1355
Thanks Nick.

At which price-point, or which specific model, will there in your opinion, be a clear-cut advantage?

Are other models like the Outlaw RR3350 or NAD C720bee clearly superior for stereo listening, or would it seem there really isn't a head & shoulders advantage in the receiver marketplace from one to the other, amongst the musical oriented manufacturers?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1356
What are you looking to improve?

I don't rightly know? I'll know it when I hear it.

As I mentioned, the Marantz is very good, particularly in SOURCE DIRECT mode, but the HKs seem to be the default recommended receiver for music enthusiast. I've heard the HK3480 at a Circuit City, needless to say I couldn't begin to tell you what the heck it sounded like given the awful conditions in the store.

I was just thinking that a receiver specifically designed for stereo must be better than one tailored for HT, but perhaps it isn't?

Gold Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 1018
Well, as noted above, I wouldn't recommend going through the hassle just for an HK stereo receiver. It wasn't sonically any better than their AVR IMO. And, as far as I recall, it uses most of the same circuitry as is in their AVRs, so I wouldn't really expect it to be in any event. Now if you move up the food chain into NAD, Rotel, Cambridge, etc, things might change for you; or they may not You know as well as anyone the only way to determine that.

I would also personally consider other areas of performance where you could get very tangible gains. A nice little musical subwoofer would certainly add a good bottom end to your system, take strain off your receiver and speakers, and improve your overall sound. I understand you're in an apartment, but so long as you aren't obnoxious with volume levels, I wouldn't expect something like an ML Dynamo would be a major problem.

PS: Out of curiosity though, didn't you just sell a Marantz stereo receiver?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1357
Yes, I owned a SR4320 for about a week, I won it on eBay for a song, and decided to flip it on craigslist to make a few bucks. It was not as good as my SR5400 in 2-ch, even though it was stereo-specific.

My main 2-ch set-up (SR5400/DV4400/Beta 20) really does not need any help with the bottom end. Can separation, soundstage, imaging improve, probably. I previously owned a NAD C740 that was probably better, IMHO, than the Marantz, but I sold it when I purchased an NAD L53, which now has a broken DVD/CD drive and is out of warranty.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
"I was just thinking that a receiver specifically designed for stereo must be better than one tailored for HT, but perhaps it isn't?"

Chris this is very much equipment dependent. There are some HT receivers that will knock the socks off some stereo receivers. The opposite is also true. Given the choices you reference, I would stick wiht the Marantz. But see if they will let you bring the HK home and return it no questions asked if you find it unsuitable.

Gold Member

Vienna, VA United States

Post Number: 1019
I would make the suggestion that adding a subwoofer would do much more than just add a bit of low end to a system.

1. It reduces the amount of power your receiver expends trying to reproduce bass on your main speakers. This means more in reserve for when you might need it.

2. It reduces the strain on your main speakers. This means more and better dynamics, and potentially more detail.

3.It allows you greater flexibility in placing your main speakers. This means instead of having them close to a wall to help reinforce bass output, you can move them to a spot that is more ideal for imaging/soundstaging.

4. A subwoofer not only gives you deeper bass than what you have now, it gives you better quality bass than what you have now.

Silver Member

Post Number: 509
I agree with JJ on this. It really depends on the brand you are willing to upgrade to. Yes if you went out and got a new NAD or Rotel two channel stereo receiver it will sound better than the Marantz A/V receiver. If you had a Arcam/NAD/Rotel/Cambridge A/V receiver, IT then will knock the socks off a Stereo Marantz or H/K receiver in two channel mode. Basically, if your only willing at the moment to spend the money on the H/K two channel receiver, dont. Stick with the Marantz IMO. Save the pennies, and when its time, upgrade out of Marantz and H/K altogether to something suitable to you ears. Cheers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1361
I couldn't resist.

I found a nice local fellow who was selling a HK3485 NIB for $150 on Audiogon, the rest is history.

I also picked up this matching HK DVD 37 for $60 http://www.electronics-expo.com/make-a-store/item/HARDVD37/Harman-Kardon/DVD-37/ 42.html .

I'll find a good home for the Boston Avidea Receiver (It's cute, but I need substance) to make room for this new HK combo. I'll keep the Marantz combo for now, but as soon as I get some new digs, I'll dive head-long into the world of separates.

...and the adventure continues.

Silver Member

Post Number: 524
lol right on man. Good price. Let us know if you think the H/K is an improvement to your ears.

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Post Number: 525
Nice pick up CM

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2143
Great find Chris. I'm interested to know how it all works out after you're up an running.

After everything settles, you may want to look at some complete systems for the new digs. Forget about pieceing together different components. Come up with an overall budget and check out systems within that budget.

Some great systems IMO -
Naim
Rega
Arcam/Totem
Rotel/Paradigm or B&W
NAD/PSB

That's just a start. They all make stuff that a working class hero like most of us can afford if we budget and save right.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1362
Somewhere out there, there's McIntosh with my name on it.

I'll bring everyone up to speed once I pull it all together.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2145
I think it takes a little more than a working class hero budget to buy a new Mac system.

Second hand could work.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1363
Nothing a little hard work can't remedy.

Silver Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 770
CM,

My MAC was Audiogon. Took my time, passed on eBay, suggest you do the same. Fellow who sold me mine had it shop tuned and bought the shipping box from McIntosh prior to selling it.

When you are ready to move maintain your standards and you will not be disappointed.

Just be patient, it will come to you.

Definitely worth the wait!

Gold Member

Post Number: 8846
Attaboy Chris!
The man can shop.
Chris, now ya gotta make the JanMike ic's and speaker runs.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1364
I've mentioned this before, I actually have a friend that has a McIntosh MC-275 & MX-110 (I think), that's mine if I want it. I would feel obligated to pay her something for the pair, but I'm not sure of their working condition (they've been in the closet for 25-yrs. or so), in any case, I'm not ready for them, yet.

I've been thinking about the whole DIY magnet-wire thing, but I'm thinking this six-moons project first http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/whitelightning/moonshine.html .

I've got too many friggin electronic knick-knacks hanging around. I need to get a bit more streamlined.

Username: Stanglover37

Post Number: 1
I am looking at getting a stereo system right now for a new apt. I went to a classy stereo place that recommended a NAD c315bee and a pair of paradigm monitor 7 speakers. However, I dont want to spend that much money, im a college student, and I wanted to be able to handle some video stuff. So I have wandered across the HK 3485 for just 250 shipped. What do we think of this? I realize this is a compromise system right now, im not working for perfection. I am just a little concerned with matching the receiver to those speakers, mostly because im not very knowledgeable with this stuff. The guy said the monitors were very efficient and didnt need a lot of wattage to be loud and from what I gather, that is what the HK is good for. So what do we think?

This is going in a living room with the speakers on each side of a fireplace with a plasma above the fireplace. The fireplace is in the corner and cuts out a triangle of the rectangular room so the speakers are in 135 degree corners against the wall. then the room continues maybe 30 feet back into a kitchen with open bar. carpet, no uncovered windows.... Thoughts?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1391
Might I suggest that you consider a similar setup to the one I now own:

An HK3385 for $175
http://www.electronics-expo.com/make-a-store/item/HARHK3385/Harman-Kardon/HK3385 /42.html &

A pair of Infinity Beta 40 (factory refubs) for $349
http://cgi.ebay.com/INFINITY-BETA-40-CHERRY-NEW-ONLY-349-AUTHORIZED-SELLER_W0QQi temZ130162366975QQihZ003QQcategoryZ14993QQcmdZViewItem

And if you need a DVD/CD player, the H/K DVD 37 for $59
http://www.electronics-expo.com/make-a-store/item/HARDVD37/Harman-Kardon/DVD-37/ 42.html .

For a grand total of $583+s/h.

The H/K receiver is no slouch, even compared to the excellent NAD C315bee, plus it gives you a tuner. The Infinity Beta series one-ups the Paradigm monitor series from what I've heard, so there you go, if your on a buget, you'd be hard-pressed to do better.

If it's within your budget, and want a slight upgrade over the suggestesd system, consider an upgrade to the HK3485 & a pair of Beta 50.

Username: Noway

Post Number: 1
The advantage for the HK 3485 is that it provides more current capability for the money than HKs Audio Video Receivers. Example:

KH 3485 (typically $230-$250) ±45 Amps
AVR-347 (typically $600) ±35 Amps
AVR-645 (typically $600) ±50 Amps
AVR-745 (typically $1000) ±60 Amps

Gold Member

Post Number: 1392
HK3385 ($175) ±42 Amps

...A negligible trade-off considering the price differential.

However, a factory closeout HK3480 (±45 amps) can be had for $188 + s/h http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_browse/product_detail.asp?urlMaterialNumber=HK %203480-Z&status=

Gold Member

Post Number: 1393
Considering the $13 price difference between the HK3385 & HK3480, the HK3480 would seem to be the better choice, affording you that slightly higher current & greater headroom.

Grand total $593 + s/h

Post Number: 2
J & R will price match with Electronics-Expo, so a BRAND NEW 3485 (which is HKs current model of top of the line 2-channel receiver) will go for 229.88 with FREE shipping to USA addresses.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8917
Giving them away!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1394
Good deal if J&R matches the price and still includes FREE shipping.

The HK3380 (the same as HK3385) for $169.88 http://www.electronics-expo.com/make-a-store/item/HARHK3380/Harman-Kardon/HK3380 /42.html would save an additional $60 over the HK3485.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8934
It's a cheap-off!
Giving stuff away!

Post Number: 2
Thats really helpful of you guys, thank you. Im a little unsure what the difference is between the models ending with 5 vs 0. I see that the 33xx vs 34xx seems to be the wattage/amperage mainly but what is the difference between the two in each power level?

I think Im sold on the beta 50s, read some reviews and such and since i was about to pull the trigger on 1100 or so for the other system, whats a 20 dollar difference for 8" vs 6 1/2... That makes me want to stick with the 34xx series though so now I need to figure out the difference between the 80 and 85... Is the only difference some kind of plug for an ipod?

Again, I really appreciate the help.

Post Number: 3
The 3385 and 3485 are the current models and replace the others mentioned.

http://www.harmankardon.com/category.aspx?Language=ENG&Region=USA&Country=US&cat =REC

...although they don't show a changelog so it's a mystery what the changes were, other than the model number.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1397
Other than that included plug, there's no difference between the 80 & 85 series other than the 85 series has composite video switching, not a big deal at all IMHO.

If you're asking about the difference between the Beta 40 & 50, yes there's a $30 difference in price between the two models x 2 = $60 more/pair. For that extra $$, you can expect sub-wooferless effortless super-deep bass (the Infinity CMMD drivers excel at this) & overall bigger sound, great for the occasional action movie.

Considering the amount you were ready to spend, the HK3485/Beta 50 combo still represents quite some savings.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1398
But the HK3380/Beta 40 combo saves you about $120, and really doesn't compromise much.

Decisions, Decisions.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1425
Put a lot of effort into this one.

Any follow-ups?

Post Number: 3
I got 2 beta 50s and the 3845. Right now theyre running on some ghetto 16 guage stuff. I just grabbed it at circuit city that night. So I can't really give follow ups on much as far as opinions since I dont think it would be fair to evaluate the stuff yet. I dont have a cd or dvd player hooked up yet just hi def cable and I feel like im not getting a full sound spectrum or something. It looks like the speakers could handle about an eigth inch diameter wire, what guage would that be? In addition a high guage wire would act as a highpass filter of sorts wouldnt it? Both the distances are quite short though, less the ten feet so I kind of doubt that is a problem. It does seem like the bass is whats being cut out. Like I said though, I feel like its the signal not the speaker or wire or receiver. Hopefully I can give you a better follow up later. I am not pleased with the remote that came with the receiver though. kinda tacky.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1426
Remotes at this price-point are usually a bit tacky. I've upgraded to a All For One URC 8910 for $20, it ain't perfect, but at least it has it's buttons in the right places.

About the speaker cable, sometimes "ghetto wire" is all you need, give this http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm a read, an see if it helps. It really all depends on the length of the runs as to which gauge you need.

You might also want to give this http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/whitelightning/moonshine.html & this https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/accessories/342576.html a read.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9035
The 6 moons stuff is currrently under construction here, as well as a few other members.
I am trying this to relace the Liberty 16g wire that I have in use now.
The WM cord strips just like the Liberty on the individual insulators, has the same strand count and so on.
The outer sheath is a little more rigid, and breaks easily after a deep score, leaving a nice square end.
I will run them this afternoon.

16g is plenty of conductor(if it's clean).
I run 3-400 watts through it regularly.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1429
Nuck,

I really can't imagine the YardMaster cord edging out the Liberty Cable THX, rather, I think the real appeal of the "White Lightning" cables is the fact that they can be done-up for about $8. YardMaster also makes several other 2-wire cords with similar specs (One is orange and comes in 50-Ft. lengths) that might be worth trying. The same goes for the Zigmahornets (no, I haven't built them yet!), I posted an eBay sale a few days ago of some enterprising individual that thought he could sell the Ziggies for $499 + s/h (about $120 to my house) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26%26item%3D320170904944&ssPageNam e=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=011 , they just loose their appeal at that price-point, even though I'm sure they are, at least, competitive with many speakers costing much more (like Jan's LS3/5A).

P.S. Did you happen to notice the warning on the YardMaster cord? Perhaps you can post it verbatim for the good folks on this board.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2212
I just got some Canare 4S11 in the mail yesterday, along with some stuff to make it look nice. I haven't received the connectors yet - a bunch of Audioquest crimp on bananas and a set of spades. They should be here on Monday or Tuesday.

Why 4S11? My runs are pretty long - approx 30 ft on the far side, and about 25 on the near side. I'd love to go shorter, but architecture (not WAF) dictates otherwise.

I'll let everyone know how it does once everything is put together.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9041
I ditched the package, CM.

Don't tell me.
'Caution-do not use in Wile E Coyote type stereo.'

ACME

Gold Member

Post Number: 1432
Good luck with the Canare Stu, I hear it's good stuff (Blue Jeans Cable loves it), make sure to report back.

Nuck, the package has a warning to the effect that the cord contains products know to cause cancer, and that one should wash their hands after handling.

Are the YardMaster cords up & running?

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 2215
Chris,

I've seen a lot of extension cords state this on the lable. I have no idea what they're talking about. Maybe there's trace amounts of lead in the jacket?

I was looking at an extension cord once in the Home Depot. If I recall correctly, the label said something along the lines of 'This cord contains materials know to cause cance in California.' I said to my wife - "Good thing we live in NY."

Gold Member

Post Number: 1433
You are correct!

It's all about some Farkakte Californian law.

I was told as much by a Woods Industries rep. He said you would have to ingest the cable in large quanities for there to be a health risk.

It's a dmn shame too, 'cause they tastes yummy.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9046
Ahh yes, I had to dig out the package to see what the hubbub was.
When I work in California there are also signs warning that the carpeting and paint in the hotel contain elements known to cause cancer.
I am there tomorrow for the week. If I stay out in the smog, I might be better off!
I will run the speaker leads this aft, after I wash my hands.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1434
Have your ever tried Liberty Cable bolognese?

Gold Member

Post Number: 9048
Is that going on your menu, Chris?

The 30g magnet wire could be angel hair pasta...

Bronze Member
Username: 007b

Post Number: 48
Canare makes good stuff. Great cost/performance ratio.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1438
From all accounts, so does YardMaster.

Gold Member

Fort Hamilton, NY United States

Post Number: 1513
Allen,

How are liking you new system?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »