Theater Research TR-2810 floor standing speaker ???

Closed: New threads not accepted on this page
  Thread Last Poster Posts Last Post
Archive through October 01, 2003Max319
Closed: New threads not accepted on this page

Anonymous
Bought some theater research speakers. BIG MISTAKE!! THESE SPEAKERS ARE NOT SHIELDED. MY TV IS RUINED NOW. THANKS THEATER RESEARCH! NOW I HAVER A DISCOLORED TV AND TWO OVER PRICED CHEAP SPEAKERS!

Anonymous
Anonymous

which model??

can someone told me if theres a problem with the tr-5210

thanks

duped!
NO!! I came to know about this board only AFTER I bought those speakers. Wish I had known earlier! :(
I was actually trying to find some info about the speakers and the company - and all I got was this msg board.
I hope someone pulls the plug on these Theater Research guys.

Anonymous
Ron is definatley an idiot. He says if this act was illegal that it wouldn't happen. Drug trafficking and child molestation are illegal but it happens all the time.
Open your eyes Ron

Anonymous
I have some beach front property for sell, cheap.
$1000 per acre. I can show it to you at low tide. Please come with cash only.

dan catlett
Just brought 2 TR-2810s back to my office -- bought from two guys in a white van (sure enough.) Occurred to me after the sale it might have been a con, so I hopped on line and found these discussion thread. I am relieved to say I only paid $100 for each ($200 total.)

I have to say, they ran a SMOOTH con on me -- $200 was all I had on me, or I would have paid more . . .

got my bro
My brother called to tell me about a home theater
system he had just bought from a couple of guys as he was leaving his credit union. In a white van of course. They wanted $1,000 and went down to $200. I knew when he called that this was the newest SCAM. I remembered the last one for Pro Dynamic speakers. I looked up TR-8000 and found this site. The only problem with this site is that people find out about it after they buy from these guys. I called up some of the radio stations to let buyers beware. I wish my bro had called me before his purchase. Guess we'll find out how they sound sometime this week, for those of you that did buy these remember to place them away from your TV's since their probably not shielded. They probably will sound okay till you push them, remember they probably dont have a crossover or any filters.

Anonymous
got my bro:
It sounds like the home theater speakers might be okay to place near your TV according to this board. I, however, own a set of tower speakers which destroyed my TV. They were sitting about 6 feet away from the TV too! Cheap things...they even smell like spray paint. Has anyone taken these things apart who knows much about speakers?

White van - two men in Jewel parking lot in Chicago today. TR-5210 for $200.00. They look like they are worth the $$. I know nothing about audio set ups. I am confused about how to hook it up. Also concerned about the "shielded" thing. How far away do these speakers need to be from my TV to be safe? Would this affect a computer monitor as well? Anybody have any comments on quality or hook up of TR-5210? Go Cubbies!

My mother paid $50 for a box of TR-5210s in Chicago yesterday-subwoofer has 8 conection points (2 for output left + 2 for output right & 2 for input left + 2 four iput right). My current RCA subwoofer connects to my Technics receiver thru a rca plug; my receiver doesn't have any speaker wire termination points for a sub woofer only a rca plug receptacle. Do the speakers pass thru the sub woofer or somthing? Any ideas? CUBS! CUBS! CUBS!

johnny p.
got me too!!!
i just bought a pair of tr1110...for a couple of
hundred dollars...canadian. i tried it and it
sounds way better than my 7yr/old pionner 100w
towers. but what worries me is...are they sheilded. please anyone inform me before it damage my 51"big screen tv.

Christopher, a couple of the speakers are supposed to pass through the subwoofer. Left front speaker goes into the left input and the right front speaker goes into right output. The center speaker, rear speakers and subwoofer go through the receiver. You have to have a receiver that accepts speaker wire, not plugs unless you go buy some different connections at Radio Shack or someplace. Let me know how it goes. I don't have a receiver so I can't try mine out. Can't believe those Cubbies lost last night. I hope they roast 'em in Atlanta. Go Cubbies! As far as all you crybabies who feel scammed, get a life and accept responsibility. The speaker guys basically told you that they were stolen. Any legit delivery guy who is getting rid of "overstock" in a parking lot is stealing from his/her company. Guess it was ok for you to scam the company but it's not ok for them to scam you. Grow up and learn your lesson like I did. It's what we get for trying to buy hot property in the first place. Make the best of it.

idiot
Christine

I aslo bought a tr-5210.

I havent try it already...

I need a receiver and try to know what kind of receiver I need to buy...

If I understand your last post a receiver who can accept only 4 speakers would be fine????

Yep 3 satellite speakers and the subwoofer go through the receiver. I went to Best Buy. They have DVD / Receiver combos that are about $200 - $250. You should definitely buy better speaker wire than came with the system. Still haven't set mine up yet as I'd prefer to sell it to some other unsuspecting fool. Let me know how it goes.

idiot
im worried to hook my 5210 because I dont know if they re shielded. anybody knows??

Gnumb Gnuts
Some are shielded, most are not...depends on the idiot who assembled them

idiot
what s the difference between both?? how can I shielded them?

Jim
TR-2000's (These are towers) are not shielded. They discolored my TV. However, I think I moved them quickly enough because the discoloration on my TV only lasted about a day.

Donkeynutz Pelonious
Yesterday, a van outside of a Wendys fast food, $150 for the pair (TR-2810), resold this morning for $500 and a half pound of very good nugs to some fool in the city. Thats about $1500 worth of profit folks... find a fool... get yer money back and then some... later folks

montreal
The site is finally up and running. There is allot of information on there. I can't find the tr-8200 series that I bought but everything else is on there with all of the specs. The site is quite nice. I also got a friend in Californina to check up the address and they are definatly there. I am starting to doubt the level of this "scam". My system works great and I did not pay much for it. It looks like all of us paid minimum $$$ for our systems, so why all the fuss.
I think that people are more pissed of at the fact that they thought they were getting a HUGE deal and in reality is was an ok deal.
I think that this is a brand new company and since the audio market is so large and difficult to enter, they went another way with their marketing program to get the product out on the street as much as possible.
I doubt that they are worth the thousands of dollars that TR is advertising them at, but I think they are definatly worth more then what most of us paid for.
my 2 cents.

Anonymous
I bought two tr-500 for 128 bucks they sound ok I am pissed that they lied to me and if I see those f888ers they are going to get f888ed up I live in spokane WA they were two kids one had tatoo's all over his arms and the other one was a fat white kid with a goatee in a white van older like a voyager.

DonkeyKong
Yo montreal. Dude, do a search on yahoo for "white van speaker scam" and look at all the bs you find. Then you'll realize the truth about theater research.

DonkeyKong
I've called Theater Research twice today and left messages both times. Their phone rings and rings until I answering machine picks up saying all lines are busy and to leave a message. I'm trying to return these speakers within the 3 days and so far no returned phone call.

A couple of guys in an Expedition sold A friend a pair of Theater Research speakers @ 100.00 a piece. "30W to 400W" States the packaging box, I honestly think that these speakers are a piece of junk they look good but thats about it. who would sell a pair of speakers priced @ 1,900.00 for 200.00 a pair. Wake up people
\Central Washington State

I will be posting the results

montreal
Yo, donkeykong, I already checked out that thread and it says the same thing as this thread. I'm not saying that this thing is all ligit, I'm just saying that this may not be as big of a scam as everyone thinks it is. No one seem to have overpaid for what they bought, for the exception of a few. I'm very happy with my system, and like I said previously, they are definatly not worth the price tag listed on their catalog but I do think that they are worth what I paid for and maybe a bit more. But like you said, I may be blind or maybe I'm one of the lucky ones that really got a good deal.
peace

montreal
i just want to add that i'm not trying to make TR sound like a good company, they are obviously doing false publicity with their catalogs but dont you think that we are scammers as much as they are for purchasing something from the back of a van and paying 10 times less what the "listed" SRP is. We all bought these systems thinking we got a hell of a deal and at the same time scaming the company that suposedly overshiped these guys selling the systems. So who are we to scream SCAM when we were scamming the system ourselves. Everyone here is just pissed off that we probably did not get as good of a scam, i mean deal as we thought we got.
peace

John
Theater research changed or updated their website. Looks like their going to greater depth now to fool everyone.

Anonymous
WELL IM NOT REALLY IN THE SAME BOAT AS THE REST OF YOU... BUT I MIGHT HAVE SOME NEWS THAT WILL MAKE A COUPLE OF YOU A LITTLE HAPPIER... THEESE TWO SK8ER LOOKING DUDES DROVE UP NEXT TO ME AT A STOPLIGHT AND INFORMED ME OF THERE FORTUNE IN THE BACK OF THERE WHITE VAN.. WELL THIS IS NOT A UNCOMMON THING WHERE IM FROM.. SYLMAR CALI. SO I PULLED OVER TO A PARKING LOT AND HE SHOWED ME HIS STOCK AND INFORMED ME OF HOW HE JUST INSTALLED THEM IN A RICH GUYS HOUSE.. AND ON HIS WAY BACK FROM BEVERLY HILLS TO THE WEREHOUSE THEY WERE TRING TO GET RID OF THE OVERSTOCK.. BEFORE THERE MANAGER FINDS THEM AND TAKES THEM FOR HIMSELF.. WELL I TOLD THEM NO AND GOT BACK INTO MY CAR.. AND FOLLOWED THEM.. TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT.. I MADE A FEW CALLS ON THE CELL PHONE AND MY FRIENDS AND I ALL HAVE NEW STEREO SYSTEMS IN OUR HOME.. WELL AT LEAST SPEAKERS.. MY BEST FRIEND ALSO GOT SOME PARTS FOR HIS VAN... I HOPE THEY GOT AAA.. WELL THAT WAS ABOUT 3 WEEKS AGO... AND I JUST DECIDED TO CHECK UP ON THE COMPANY AND SEE IF THEY SOLD RECIVERS.. AND IMAGINE MY SUPRIZE WHEN I FOUND THIS THREAD.. WELL THANKS "TR" BEEN A PLEASURE !! :)

speaker god
i sell theater research any model you want.ive sold digital audio speakers for five years like this just recently we changed the name to theater research about 8 months ago. its good depending on what you buy and how much you pay. i have a tr601 home theater in my house, it rocks.people often ask me how i can do it, easy its your attitude and your street smarts, i either slam speakers on people, or beat the crap out of them when they get lippy or disrespect me, if you dont like what we do dont buy em, but for your own well being dont talk s&*^%if you know the deal because a veteran speaker guy will f#**k you up, you know why, because hes done this all day every day for years and he is a down motherf#**r trust me. im the nicest guy in the world on the street untill you disrespect me.i was taught by the best over five years ago, and will continue to teach this art of sales to anyone i believe has the right mentality, 1 out of every 10 guys will be good at this, maybe. that phone number is bogus its not the one i call every morning to order speakers and the go pick them up at a wherhouse. rock out fellow speaker dudes.if you do buy these speakers again give the speaker guy all your weed. peace out in spokane washington

Hey i was approched by to young dudes in a white van in hollywood at a stop sign and ask me if i wanted some speakers i said pull over so that can i see them
he wanted 500 bucks for the TR-1410 so i said i'll give you 300bucks sure he said i was a bit worried on my way home speculating if the speakers worked an hey they sound really great best speakers i've bought for 300 bucks hey why not make a profit if you can turn around a sell them for a bit more as long as they work

Anonymous
Just Bought and Happy!
I bought off their web site, and got the speakers from UPS. They showed up in good condition, and I hooked them up to my New Kenwood and sound great.
Sounds like its a small company trying to compete with Best Buy, and their million dollar budget.
Just because they have a bunch of small sales people selling their stuff, doesn't mean the product and company aren't good.
I like them.
R. Lee

I Bought a set of Speakers for my Music Recording studio and they Jam! I paid what they were worth to me and I hope anyone would do the same for any product.

mike in Houston
I just bought a set of 2800 for $500 I took them over one of my friends house to hook them up,he had a set of polk audios that he paid $1000 each speaker we disconected those and hooked my 2800's up and we couldn't tell the diffrence in sound. So im very happy and I feel I got a great deal!

street houston
I'm one of the speaker guys that all of you guys are trying to figure out.Let me tell you somethings without revealing to much,I've read most of your comments on the board just to trying to get some feed back, It makes me feel good that most of you guys are happy with your speakers,the guys that are not either do not know how to hook them up or just want something to b##ch about. I train speaker guys everyday thats what I do I've been doing that for seven yearslike speaker god said earlier only one out of ten guys actually make it. I'm going to answer some of your questions and tell you a little bit on how we do business. First of all speaker sales are the hardest sales that you can do the reason for that is that we are riding around yelling out the window trying to get your attention hoping that we can get your attention long enough for us to tell you our story.90% of the time you are not even thinking about speakers or thinking of spending some money. Let me tell you the speakers are very good good quality look beautiful and sound great. I have alot of repeat customers becouse I always give out my number.Everytime we get a new model we always get a sample we inspect the package we inspect the speaker, we inspect the sound and if we don't like it we will tell the manufacturer and he would do some modifications or he will quit maken it.and that is a fact he is always tryng to make a better product. Now let me tell you why are pitch is almost the same that we got extra speakers and we have to get rid of them fast.The main reason is becouse that pitch works and it has been working for years, people are greedy and they want a great deal,so if they think that they are hot or that you got them for free they want to hang around and see how low they can get you and that is when the negotiating game begins.Let me give you another example and one that I try with my new trainees I go out in the streets and tell the people that I have a wholesale audio equipment company and that I buy speakers by the thousands and that I can give them a great deal on some speakers. now all that is the complete truth, but do you know the answer I get 100% of the time? answer: Well that is great give me a business card and I will call you whenever I need some. I spend 8 hours in the street and go back to the office broke. The next day I go out in the streets and tell them that I got double ordered and that I have to get rid of the speakers right f##kin now! And I sell ten sets and with fat pockets. Thats why we do it like that.So people when you see my people in the streets be nice and take a look at our speakers they are great. I also challenge you to go into bestbuy and find some better looking or sounding speakers.It won't happen ! One more thing when my guys sell 20 sets in one week I GIVE THEM A $400 BONUS SO FOR THE FEW OF YA THAT got your speakers for $250 or less the only reason that happen was probaly becouse they were one set from making their bonus and they took a hundred dollar loss to make three hundred if that makes sense to ya.So for ya that are crying speaker scam need to shut up and be gratefull that you were in the presence of a great salesman. P:s Any questions type them down and I will try to answer them for you.

Anonymous
I mailed a transaction cancellation to the company and they received it within 3 days (certified mail). About a week and a half after they received it, I was left a voicemail from the company telling me to call them back...whoever sold me the speakers no longer works there & they want to know if the transaction was taken care of or not. Well, I have left messages for the company for the last two weeks and they have not returned my call. Why would the company call me, give me a number to call, and not return my phone calls? Is this another tactic?

Anonymous
Does anyone know if the theater research tr-5210 speakers are shielded? i don't want to screw up my tv.

Anonymous
I am really waiting to see you speaker god I have been driving looking for you you are not even going to see it coming. Speaker dude's are tough??? Ill show you how tough you really are. I was born and raised in the bronx I will show you how we take care of people like you.

Anonymous
Expect to give those 128 dollars back when I see you If you give me money back there wont be any problems and no you wont get your speakers back out of principal. and yeah the top message is from me too and yeah I live in spokane wa.I can shut people like you down completely if I want to and you will be paying me for protection money

Anonymous
hey houston, first off, I am not happy with my speakers. Second, I know how to hook up my speakers. Third, I am bietching about my speakers not b/c I only want to bietch but b/c the damn things totally ruined my TV! Go fukk yourself A hole. All you con-men will get yours.

STREET HOUSTON: I just baught the tr-1110 speakers, can you tell me how to install them. this is my email adress: nizzlecracker@hotmail.com.

Thanks for your time, I'm sure they'll sound great!

STREET HOUSTON
sami Let me check into your speaker im not really familiar with the TR1110 Im not sure if we sell those in houston. let me do a little research and I will tell you all about them.

THANKS!

Street houston
If you have any questions for me please put my name so Ill know and try to answer your questions Anonymous I can see that you don't have good sense I've never heard of my speakers messing up a TV I have them at home on my 65 in mitsubishi HD TV they work great and so does the TV. I suggest you get you a new TV.

Old Frt
Hey all,

My stepson's friend is staying with us and guess what -- yep - you got it.... ha ha - (sorry..)

The kid bought the TR-5210's - they dont sound too bad - but then he has them hooked up to a cheapo emerson dvd/vhs combo unit.

Poor kid is all full of himself - telling me what a great deal he got - $250 for a $3000 setup....

I asked where he got them and he was evasive - finally stating that a friend hooked him up - then told me that he didnt want to get his "friend" in trouble and anyway it wasnt his business if they were stolen...

HA HA HA - (sorry - cant help it)

I got the brand name off the sub-woofer and scrambled upstairs - got on google and punched in "Theater Research" --- and --- I found you guys.

HELL --- Ooooooo !!

Hope you all dont mind - but I printed out about 30-pages of your posts along with the page from

http://www.scamshield.com/Feature.asp?id=1
Beware of vans bearing gifts!

I have deposited them in his restroom so the next time he needs reading material - he can have a good read - a good cry - and hopefully - not crap all over his bad ol' self...
--------------------------------------

Now - on to the scam -

I noticed that a number of you think that this is a "New Scam"

NEWS FLASH for ya --- It IS NOT a new scam.

Back in 1981 I had just finished my tour in the air force and was living in Austin (in Houston now).
I was looking for work -- So - a friend and I answered an ad for "sales persons" - we get hired - and here is what happens....

Show up to work 7am monday morning for a "sales meeting"

All it is - is a 30-minute "rah rah session" designed to get everybody pumped up - then they took us to the warehouse and showed us the product - they had everything from pool-sticks to dinnerware.

They told us to pick what we thought we could sell - Mark the product and quantity on the inventory sheet they gave us - and load the stuff up into our cars, trucks, vans - whatever - and get the hell out there and SELL SELL SELL !!!

I only did this for about a week - i am not a salesperson

Anyway - during that week my friend and I were cruising all over the place trying to market the "junk in the trunk" -

Funny - most people would only buy if they thought our product was stolen -- we never said it was -- but -- when they asked - we never said it wasnt....

Anyway - we had finished some sales and were still in the parking lot of a strip mall when a "White Van" passed by -- One guy is leaning out the window trying to get our attention -- we thought that maybe they saw us selling and wanted to buy from us -- so we pull over and park it and they pull up and park next to us -- we open our trunk ('72 Nova) and they open the back of their van...

WE ALL HAD A GREAT LAUGH --but --

They had the goooood stuff

Can you say -- Au-di-o Spea-kers --- ??

Damn-it !!

All We had was a bunch of crap - Doh !!
------------------------------------------

Cut to 1982-85

Anyone remember hearing the radio and TV advertisements...

"Crazy Jim is GOIN OUT OF Business !! -
Somebody screwed up and lost the weekly deposits !!
CREDITORS want their money and CRAZY Jim is
having a GOING OUT OF Business sale"
Eveything will be sold at ROCK Bottom prices
SALE is for THIS Weekend ONLY"

Or some such derivative....

The ad would run for weeks...loud and obnoxious -

Well - I finally decided to go and check it out - and let me tell you - they had every audio device you could think of - all no-name brands - all for rock bottom prices --
All for hundreds less than "list price"...

So - no -- the scam is not new --
--------------------------------------------------

For some -- its not so much a scam - its a job -
these people have kids to feed, house payments -
van payments - etc....

Same as you and me -
(but without the vans -- right ?)

The only thing I really see wrong with what they are doing - is the lying.

I.E. - The claim that these are $2500 or $3000 setups.

But hey - lets face it -- we're all looking for a great deal --

We are all looking to get more for our dollar,

Look -- If these guys pulled up and said -

---------------------------------------
"Hey yall -

Check out these speakers -
home theater systems - "et - cet - er -ah..."

Ya need a setup ?? --

Hey - these systems list for $250
We'll let you have em for just $200 ---"
--------------------------------------------

Honestly - Would you guys buy -- ??

No - you probably wouldn't ---

and Why not ??

Here's a couple of reasons...

Because you would say --

"Hmmm... $250 setup -- must be cheapo stuff --
Nah !! Go away and leave me alone man !!"

AND --- OR

You would want a better deal...

$50 dollars off - would not be a good enough deal for you.

So - what happens ??

The "White Van Scammers" just do what we ask em to do ---

Make us think we're getting a better deal....

No - wait -- Not a "better deal" --

We want them to make us think we are getting --

An "UN-believable Deal"

In fact -- we're getting -- a STEAL !!!!

Oh - YEAH Baby !!!

Thats right - uh-huh, uh-huh !!!

Come on-- you all watch TV --

The advertisers lie to us all the time. --

Why ??

Because we want them to --

They lie - we buy.

The bigger the lie --- the more we buy.

They all do it ---

Hey - ever wonder how many eskimos own refrigerators - with ice makers even ???

Dang - !!!

Have "The White Van Scammmers" been there too ?
------------------------------

Okay -
Sorry this post was so long and that I may have gotten somewhat carried away.

I guess all this is just to say -live and learn-

-- Caveat Emptor -- (Buyer Beware !!)

Oh yeah -
and be cool
O.F.

Jim
To Street Houston:

I noticed I was not the only one having problems with my speakers being shielded. I have a 1 year old 36" Toshiba...not projection...just flat screen. Almost all speakers made today are shielded so the magnets will not distort your television if they are placed near-by. I opened up my speakers and placed them next to my TV and guess what? The TV turned green on either side of the picture tube within minutes of placing the speakers next to it. After about two days my TV returned to normal. First I had green sides to my picture. Then it turned to a brownish color before finally fading. Luckily, I moved these speakers in time. In short, it appears you are the one with "no sense" since I "anonymous" both had problems with the speaker magnets. Fortunately, I was able to correct the my problem.

To old frt: Nice write-up.

I just bought the TR 5140 home theter system from to guys in a ford explorer in Flagstaff Arizona. They had four sets of them in the back of their explorer. I didn't really believe their story but do know that a cheap surround sound system is 100 bucks. You can buy them at albertson's but they a only about 5-7 pounds. This box was heavy and when I opened the box and examened the speakers they seemed to be of high quality. This purchased just happened 20 minutes ago. I am going to go and find these guys.Flagstaff is small, I will probably find them. Do these speakers work at all? I heard the sub does not work. It is heavy so it must be amplified. Please send me some info while I go and look for these guys. I only paid 125.00 for the surround sound system tr 5140. I don't feel too ripped off just lied too. Oh and is the warranty card real? Thanks Concerned buyer who is in college and knows he feels ripped off.

Hi Guys, well I just bought a set of TR-5140. I paid 100.00 and there is no instructions or warranty card in the box. The product looks fine but I haven't tried it yet. I need instructions on how to wire it to my TV or DVD. Can anyone email me these if you have them? Same thing as many of you, I bought them from a guy name Chris in a white van.

Thanks, Ron

Anonymous
Hey Ron,

Are u in Calgary? Cause I just dropped $200 Canadian on a set of TR-1110's from a guy named Chris as well...

thanks Street houston...waiting for your instructions!

Duped!
hey ...I think the speakers (TR 1100) are not that bad. Stop complaining ...guys! I dont think I was scammmed !

onetime
If the price is right, they're great.

anonyman
what kind of receiver do I need to buy to hook my 5210 Theater research??? (how many speakers output?)

anybody can help???

Anonymous
I love them. They're great!!!!!!

Anonymous
Well I definitely had a few guys approach me today but they definitely weren't in a white van. But he did pull out the boxes. He told me his boss ordered 4 speakers but there was a mess up with the order. He had 2 extra ones. So he wanted to sell them to me for $500. BOTH OF THEM. I told him I didn't want them but he insisted on bugging the crap out of me. I was so tempted to call the cops because he was hasseling me after I told him I didn't want them about 1000 times. He was wasting my time and he claimed that I was "wasting his time and that i MADE him open the box" when I didn't even ask him to show me. I first thought that they were stolen and that i was so going to jail for this but then again he wouldn't have sat there for a half an hour arguing with me if he actually stole them. He asked me what's the highest I could pay for them and I kept telling him that I didn't want them. I think it's so much bull**** that he kept badgering me. But I finally gave in and bought them for $250. They were $1000 a piece. Was it good for me to have bought them? I have no use for them whatsoever.

Anonymous
By the way, they were TR-900's. Has anybody heard of them before?

Anonymous
Oh yeah. AND ALSO this happened in Orlando, FL. These guys didn't have a magazine like you all keep mentioning and they weren't in a white van but they were in their 20's and i got the guys name and phone number. I'm sure it's some made up name and number anyways. Well, I for one am definitely feeling vulnerable right now. I can't believe he pressured me into buying those dang speakers. I didn't want them!!!

Jason P
Same Story, 2 guys in a white ford explorer in San Antonio, TX. Paid $300 for a pair of TR-900s. But when I got them home they didn't work, nothing, no static or anything. I'm not saying this is a scam, just be aware that you are gambling by doing this. I ended up with 2 non-working speakers and $300 less.

Anonymous
Jason, you probably have them hooked up wrong.

Just happened to me...

is there anyway to call the company and demand my money back? what can i do?
thanks

Anonymous
this is great - i too just bought into this, of course i knew they weren't $2000 speakers. but this part is even better.
when i got the cash i told him to take it out of the box so i could see it, we saw two cops pull up - well he (the seller) ended up getting a $250 ticket for selling w/o a license.

i bought the TR-2810s for $300 - i have an onkyo amp so i'm hoping they sound decent.

Anonymous
continuation from post above : here's the address and phone on the receipt that i got...

American Sound Systems, INC
1025 Lunt Ave Unit B
Schaumburg, IL 60193

and at the bottom it says that you can return them for full refund in three days w/o penalty or obligation

AdamT
Seemingly the old adage that there's a sucker born every day was a gross underestimation. I feel like some kind of freakin' Einstein after browsing this thread!

vancouver pot
TR-1110 Rocks....$200 Canadian for this awesome speaker is a steal. thanks to you speaker dudes.

Anonymous
I just got tr-1500. They sound just fine. $220 a pair makes them even better. THey are are no worse if not better then my Acoustic Research S50
which cost me twice as much

I don't know what you guys are bi*ching about

Shizzy
People are so stupid... say this really was a $2000 system comparable to other Sony or Bose systems that are in the same price range. Do you REALLY think the speakers are going to put out a good sound off of just a DVD player or some weak reciever? I hooked my 5210 to a Yamaha 7-Channel reciever and the speakers rock my living room. I paid $170, best deal I've gotten all year besides anything I've gotten for free.

Enough with all the tough guy bullshit "I'm gonna mess you up and get my money back if I see you again". I think we all learned years ago that talking tough behind your monitor doesn't prove anything.

I know that some of you now probably think I'm one of the people selling these things but you know what? Just give any of the TR speakers that you bought decent power and not some donkey setup and then tell me you got scammed.

Shizzy
Seriously, who do all these people think they are trying to tell other people how to make money? So what if it was sold off the street, I'm glad I got such a deal on my 5210 and I dont give a f*ck HOW it was bought. It's a free f*cking country.

i have seen an ad put up in a strip mall and its for tr-1400 for $400 a pair reg. $1995 each. i did some research online about them and the only thing i can find out is a van selling them because they overstocked. i'm not one to judge without hearing them first, after reading some of the reveiws on here, some people compared them to sony and bose. i can say this- sony doesnt make speakers, they are made from a suplier that also makes pioneer, kenwood and so on, and there all garbage. they do not deserve to be compared to a speaker that might have quality. bose on the other hand has one of the best marketing there is but the speakers suck, where i work we like to call them "all highs no lows bose". if you want to compare them to great hifi speakers try Totem, Mission or Energy. i personaly have mission M53 fronts, M5c center, M51 rears and a Mission 700ASi sub, running off a Marantz SR8300 receiver. worth every penny i spent on them (over $7000 canadian or almost US$6000 plus $1000 on wiring). so when you see a guy selling speakers out of a van, think and dont buy a scam, buy some real HiFi quality.

CONCERNED CITIZEN
I think everyones point is they were lied to and tricked into buying $50 speakers.. and I'm sure the IRS will love to here about this business practice of theres. Which I think I will inform them about... And now the tricky bastar** are selling them through e-bay. I know that these people are all in it together and the websites fake and so are the speakers JUNK OR NOT... Its deception and WRONG.. I hope the goverment does something about this... YOU PEOPLE IN CALIFORNIA NEED TO CONTACT YOU STATE ATTORNEY GENERAL'S OFFICE THAT SHOULD PUT A STOP TO IT RATHER QUIK

Anonymous
Spell check Citizen

Anonymous
The're here in Metro West Boston.

zack
Carlisle Pike, Mechanicsburg, PA.

Younger, shorter guy, and a larger, heavyset girl in the passenger seat, didn't say a word. Both in their early 20's or so.

$250 for a TR-501...he had a few other selections, but I choose the 501's cause you can hang them from the cealing.

Going to hook them up tomorrow to see if I did get jacked or not, but from majority of the posts here, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Mike
I got the tr2810 about 2 months ago and then rattle my whole house and my nieghbors houses windows which are 30 yards away. i bought mine for 350 bucks what a steal. i love them and i am so happy i have them. i looked at thier web site and they are selling the same pair for 2,000 bucks. people stop complaining and be happy you got an awesome deal. www.ththeaterresearch.com check the site out yourself. What a deal thank you for that white van that stopped me leaving the bank. i live in new jersey by the way. an awesome deal and if you where lucky enough to get it good for you stop complaining people. and i don't work for the company either im a college student who has the loudest speakers in my whole dorm complex they shake the whole floor i love them

Dad
Mike you're contradicting yourself. You live in a dorm room and your neighbor's house is 30 yeards away? I didn't know retards could attend college. Please let me know the name of the retard college you attend so I can send my son there. He also bought these generic speakers.

By the way, I was able to get my son's money back. Plus, he got to keep the speakers (By the way, if you own a set of Tr-2000's they turned his 13-inch TV green...meaning they didn't shield the huge magnets in these things). If you want you money back and have a receipt, all I can say is scam the scammers if you're smart enough. Unfortunately, it sounds like most of the people on this message are not.

Everyone enjoy your sub-par speakers.

Anonymous
I just bought a TR-501 Stereo Surround system from the same guys with the same story. Anyone who is happy with their system want to buy another one?

retard
how much is that, anonymous?

Anonymous
If you feel you got scammed, get your money back. if you have any contact #'s, names or addresses then you are in business. I turned them into Ohio's state attorney general's office and the BBB. They wll go after them. I got scammed (Columbus, OH) and I got my money back. They will keep trying to blow you off. Let them know you mean business. If anyone got scammed in ohio, it was probably by the following company
"Audio Dynamics"
4930 Provident Drive
Cincinnati, Oh

I have 3 contact names for you Chris and Tony sold me the speakers and I talked to "the boss" named Joe Murray. Murray's #'s are as follows:
(513) 860-3035 (put this # in google and you will find the address of Mr. GH Southerland in Fairfield, OH
(859) 866-7449
(513) 860-3050
Finally, the # for Tony and Chris was/is (859) 992-4941. You all can get your $ back if you really want to.

Anonymous
If you feel you got scammed, get your money back. if you have any contact #'s, names or addresses then you are in business. I turned them into Ohio's state attorney general's office and the BBB. They wll go after them. I got scammed (Columbus, OH) and I got my money back. They will keep trying to blow you off. Let them know you mean business. If anyone got scammed in ohio, it was probably by the following company
"Audio Dynamics"
4930 Provident Drive
Cincinnati, Oh

I have 3 contact names for you Chris and Tony sold me the speakers and I talked to "the boss" named Joe Murray. Murray's #'s are as follows:
(513) 860-3035 (put this # in google and you will find the address of Mr. GH Southerland in Fairfield, OH
(859) 866-7449
(513) 860-3050
Finally, the # for Tony and Chris was/is (859) 992-4941. You all can get your $ back if you really want to.

Anonymous
I got my money back from guys in PA.

Consumer
I bought tr-1110 from the van for a gift. I don't need it now. It's for sale for $250. E-mail me:
tvv96@mail.ru

Anonymous
consumer, no one in their right mind who has written on this board would buy your speakers. try ebay like everyone else who realized they were scammed.

MarantzFan
Hey consumer! What colour was the Van?

I am looking for the TR-1110 from the red van cause they are the best!

Email me at

Imafool@Takemymoneyidontneedit.com

geoge ken
anybody got the model 1601 tower ? are they shielded or not ?

geoge ken
anyone have model 1610 ? they are shielded?

Anyone get sold a set of speakers from an orange ish explorer? By two guys that were really excited? or a astro van?

Harry Laid
WOW i just bought a set of tr-601's for $800. they sound awsome! The guy pitched me at $1000. But i talked him down to $800. :)

Igotta Brigin Brooklyn
Wow 800$ well you could have gone into a store and got real speakers for a lot less with a full guarantee.

My aren't you the smart one.

It really is weirtd that you wouldn't spend that much in a store but on the street its a real deal.

WTF are you people nuts?

traceman
This scam goes back a very long time!
A couple of people in Cincinnati that I knew on a personal basis were selling speakers like this out of a van. This was in 1986 or so..
These speakers are crap as far as I am concerned. Save your Money!!!! I was actually approached a few weeks ago by some guy in another van while I was leaving a bank...
If I would have had my cell phone i would have followed the guy around and promptly dialed the local police..

check this out
http://www.scamshield.com/Feature.asp?id=1

THIS IS A SCAM.. I would not pay $25 for these pieces of crap..

traceman
Hell...
Let me hook them up to my power amp that "really" puts out 400 watts.. I bet I can melt these pieces of sh^t!

Fred
Wow, check it out Ebay item #3059687999

JERSEY SPEAKER MAN
HAHAHA WOW. U GUYS WANT SPEAKERS? LOL U GUYS ARE F-UCKIN STUPID. AND WE DIDNT SCAM U. U PAID ABOUT HOW MUCH THEY ARE WORTH. THE ONLY REASON U THINK THAT U GOT SCAMMED IS BECAUSE U THOUGHT U WERE SCAMIN US BY GIVIN US ONLY $200 OR $800 FOR SPEAKERS THAT ARE WORTH 2500. WE DIDNT SCAM U. DONT HATE THE PLAYER... HATE THE GAME. U THOUGHT U WERE GETTING OVER ON US U AZZHOLES. UR NOT SMARTER THEN THE SPEAKERS GUYS.

Anonymous
Has anyone actually gotten a refund? I can't find one listing where someone got a refund. Thanks.

Anonymous
I did. I mailed a copy of my receipt to Cincy, OH. Then a contact from the store that supposedly sells them contacted me (about 2 weeks after I mailed the receipt). Also, I sent a professional letter along with my receipt stating that I am cancelling the transaction within the 3 day period as stated. The store that sold me the speakers wanted me to drop them off, but I ended up shipping them UPS C.O.D. Also, I was very persistent once I received a contact's full name and number.

Trainers wanted in Montreal
$10-$15 a set + accomodations
ask for Gusto 450 629 6696

By the way, Montreal has the best girly bars in the world.

Eric
College Student - Austin, TX
Seems like I joined the club. I bought a pair of tr-500 floorspeakers for $150. Three guys in a green Expedition were driving through my apartment complex and stopped me. I was a bit skeptical about this at first. They told me the same overstock line and showed me invoices and advertisements. They wanted about $800 for the pair and I told them no and walked a way. Then they shouted back and agreed to sell for $150. They said they wanted to get a little something for selling them instead of letting their boss taking the speakers. The young guys told me they went to Texas State Univ. One of the guys gave me his cell number and told me to give him a call if I was ever in San Marcos and to take them out bar hopping since they gave me a great deal! What a crock of $hit!

Username: Baugh009

Post Number: 1
Hello, All:

Lust for a bargain drives a "hard-bargain." I bought a pair of TR-1400's off Ebay for $280. As with my wife, they "work" and, at least, look pretty. I spent a part-time career around canons and mortors firing eardrum-shattering rounds (the early years of which I didn't use ear plugs!). Hence, I have a hard time differentiating between the quality of the bottom-end and, say that of a Vienna Acoustics.

I look at this as a "cheap" lesson; take it and learn from it: "If it sounds too good to be true..." (Alternative lesson: you are never too old to learn.) Seond alternative lesson:
it seems that with some of us, the older you get,
the harder it is to remember lesson # one.

John Baughman
Lake Stevens, WA

P. D
Unregistered guest
Sometime in September in Long Beach, CA my father purchased the TR7000 for $180 from some guy in a black SCION who was parked by our house. After comparing these speakers with similar items and prices, he is quite happy that he did end up purchasing the speakers from the guy in the SCION, he also still has his cell number. Yesterday, while I was watching bad boys 2, the speakers seem to work great, there is so much bass and they go pretty loud. Our family is happy that we got them and at a cheaper price then most have paid.

Castun
Unregistered guest
Anyone ever consider the possibility that these same people who are apparently 'ectsatic' over their speaker purchase are the exact same people who ripped many of us off in the first place? As JERSEY SPEAKER MAN so willingly pointed out, at least some of those salespeople know this thread exists.

Pocono
Unregistered guest
In Northeast PA, same deal going on here. I paid $250 for 2 TR-2800's, and cannot get the right connection. With no directions or receiver information, I'm currently trying to find the right hook-up. But the 2 guys were the same smooth guys everyone else has apparently run into, with the same exact story. Nice marketing campaign for TR, I'll give them that. I'm a little green at this speaker stuff, so can anyone tell me if I simply need a receiver for this to work? Or is it much more? Thanks.

Pengo
Unregistered guest
The conectios on the speakers ... have a red and black screw out conections..... there is a hole in the thresd that u can slip the ends of your wire into (striped off insulation for an electrical ontact).... Or use bananna conectors.

Iv bought some TR-500 from the dude in spokane With the goat, wool hat and nice new shues(blue)...120$$ for a pair.

Id like a bit of honesty.. but i knew the story was just that.. a story ...... i just figured he was on drugs (eyes were seriously dialated) and was selling his parrents stuff for a fix.

Lucky..
Unregistered guest
GOT MY MONEY BACK!!!

I was approached Monday 1/6/4 in Schaumburg by 2 guys in a white van. Got the same story you all did. He said he had 2 sets to sell, and he would even come to my house to hook them up. Actually was a nice guy. Showed me a brochure that listed the TR-2800 for 1999.00 each. I called my friend to check out their website www.trtheaterresearch.com. He checked it out and he liked what he saw. So I bought 2 sets for $600.00. Got a receipt from American Sound System in Schaumburg with the address and phone number of the place also got the driver's cell number.
Got back to work and checked out the web to see how much these speakers were really worth. Then I found this website. I felt like crap. I was pissed. So I pulled out the receipt to see if I could return the speakers. The receipt stated that I had 3 days to return the speakers. I called first tried to call the driver on his cell, but got his voicemail. So then I called American Sound Systems and talked to a guy named Joe. I told him I wanted to return the speakers. He said "that I need to fax him the receipt", which I did. I asked him if I can come drop off the speakers and get my money back. He said the driver has my money and the driver will contact me to arrange an exchange. I didn't feel too comfortable waiting for the drivers call. So I decided to go over Joe's office. I took a friend with me. The meeting wasn't pleasant. Joe (5-11 maybe 170 lbs) acted like a tough guy. He first said we will have to wait for the driver, then he will cut me a check. I asked him "we have the speakers here, why not just cut us a check right now" at this point he asked us to leave and said if we don't "some will get hurt". My friend and I laughed. We decided we were getting anywhere here, so we left. I then got in touch with the driver on his cell and he said he will get me my money back tomorrow and to give him a call in the morning. I called him the next morning and he said he will be out all day and that he could meet me at American Sound Systems at 7:30pm. There we can exchange the speakers and he will give me a check for $600.00 (I wasn't too thrilled about getting a check). I also didn't feel to comfortable meeting him at American Sound Systems at night. I asked the driver to meet me at a near by Jewel, but he refused. I got worried, but still wanted my money back. So I called the Schaumburg police to see if I can get a police office to escort me. They agreed and I took an officer with me. The officer waited in the car. I went in the front door and meet Joe again. I told him I was looking for the driver and Joe (who now had a black eye, which put a smile on my face) told me to wait outside and he will meet me out there (with attitude). We then made the exchange. I gave him back the speakers and he gave me a check. I cashed the check first thing today morning.
I do agree with some of the postings that say this is not a scam. This is more a sales pitch that I fell for. They make you believe you are getting an incredible deal. If I never saw this website, I probably would still be thinking the same thing. For those of you who are stuck with the speakers, I wouldn't feel to bad. I would put a price of $100.00 each for the TR-2800 (which might be low). So you might have over paid. We all over pay for things in our life. Car's are a prime example. I did hook up one of the speakers and it worked, and they do look nice. As for performance, I didn't check for that. I think I felt more cheated because I thought I was getting a great deal, but in actuality I was overpaying for something I didn't even need. I was lucky enough to get them returned. Good Luck to you all. Here is the place I returned my speakers to.

American Sound Systems, INC
1025 Lunt Ave Unit B
Schaumburg, IL 60193

Shimmygirl
Unregistered guest
They are here in Rhode Island now too. Just purchased a Theater Research TR-501 Surround sound system from 2 guys in a white van parked outside the bank. They claimed to be drivers for a company called American Sound Systems located in W. Bridgewater, MA. They gave the same scam story; they claimed they had rec'd Xtra inventory and were trying to get rid of it before returning to work. They showed a catalog containg pics & prices of the merchandise claiming it was a $2500 system. Haven't tried the speakers yet. Went on-line and found this website. I wish I had known about this site before purchasing them. We need to put an end to this scam. Even if some of you are happy with your speakers, the tatics they employ to get people to purchase them is ethically wrong and probably illegal. You can't sell merchandise out of the back of a van without a vendor's license. Let's shut this operation down. Stand up for yourselves and help other unsuspecting victims in the process. I have looked into this company and "Theater Research" has complaints online with the BBB. (See Bureau ID #13144954). They also do business under the name "Dogg Digital Audio". Just remember that Apathy is worse than the scam being put upon us. A comment to all those speaker guys out there. I have one word for you: KARMA.

Deadmothafuckas
Unregistered guest
Just to add my dupe in. Got scammed in Calgary, I was pretty hung over and got the same bs story everyone else did including the white van and buying them beer crap. It is a scam and this is illegal. Paid $300 for a pair of the Nuaunce baby grands. They seem to work allright, lack any real bass. If you look at them closely you can tell they are cheaply made, from a distance they look allright though. Consider it a cheap lesson I guess.

Unregistered guest
I got the TR-2000 before i checked out the site ($200). Don't know if i got scammed or not yet. How far should they be from my TV and is there any way to "shield" them from my TV? I also have a click that comes from the left speaker on occasion. Is this the speaker or my 7 yr old sony reciever.

Anonymous

Has anyone ever really listened to these speakers? How do they sound? Are they worth 200 bucks? Are they clear can they handle power? Do they look and sound as good as they appear?

acura patel
Unregistered guest
I bought a Tr8000 surround sound "home theatre" system from Theatre Research from a couple of cats in a minivan in West Houston. I came across them while they had a customer(chinese guy) and was interested in listening only. When they sold him what I thought was $4000 speakers for 160, I jumped in the fray. I explained to them I don't even have a TV or my own place so he asked me how much I would be willing to pay for them today and I said 125 and he countered "140". Since they just sold one to the guy before me for 160 and they had this one last one(black 'stead of beige), I decided to buy and I drove one of the guys to the bank after they put the speakers in my car. THe other guy followed and then I pulled 140, told them I only had 125 and made out like bandit. These speakers are legit(came in box), brand new(no scratches) and I got 4 satellite, one center and one huge subwoofer all for $125.00!! After I got home, I researched and thought I got ripped off after reading all these messages here. Turns out, I got a deal cuz I knew how much they were actually going for(from other guy) without knowing anything about speaker specs. Guys the bottom line is if youre buying off the street, you have to know the value and street value of the product and then also know speaker specs so you can negotiate even more. I learned a lesson that even I could have been ripped off completely had I not known what THEY would be willing to sell for. Would you buy a car without knowing how much it went for? NO, you would get ripped off in the thousands. Be thankfull you didn't lose the house and rule of thumb, if you dont know, don't buy.

Username: Chainsaw

if you take off the back of your tv and put a wire on the tube ground going around the tube and the other end to a screw driver .put the end of it under the boot on the top of the tube it will dicharge the tube . that will make your tv work right

Anonymous

they are in erie,pa now just bought two tr8210 for two hundred dollars should i keep them???or get rid of them????let me know....

Audiophile
Unregistered guest
Guys, Guys...
I hate to say it, but the "white van selling speakers" scam has been around for at least 25 years (that's when I saw my first set of van speakers).
Folks - if its a good product, why are they selling it out of vans elicitly?
If its a good product, why do some of the "salesmen" tell lies about the origin of the speakers? (ie. "these were left over from a contract job"..."i got these left over from our warehouse"..., or even "hey buddy, these are probably hot - get them while you can")

Do you folks have any idea how cheaply speaker components can be had? Go to www.partsexpress.com, and look up speaker parts. 5 dollars a woofer! 4 dollars a tweeter! And if you open your speakers up, you won't even find a crossover (which is a necessary part).
These speakers were probably assembled overseas for less than 25 dollars each. AND, they were made with one purpose - to part the unsuspecting and gullible from their cash.
The folks who make and then find con men to distribute them know that 95% of the public have never heard anything other than crap, so they certainly won't be disappointed with the crap their selling. No harm, no foul, right?
Except that it irks me as an audio buff to know that for the same 200-300 dollars, you could actually get something fairly decent, or if you enterprising, you could make some yourself which are quite amazing. The Vifa Concentric ring tweeter (which TR FALSELY says is in their speakers)can be bought for around 60 dollars. This is the same tweeter that is used by some of the wonderful (legit!) high-end speaker companies.
By the way...the new angle to the scam is to put up a fake website which then proceeds to list the "retail sales price" of these speakers ludicrously high, so that if you feel compelled to research your purchase, you'll be mollified. And, with the entry of Ebay, they are now forgoing the white van altogether and just selling them there, complete with invitiations to "check out the manufacturers website!"
Anyway...
Sorry to rain on your parades. Just remember, if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is. Don't fall prey to the smooth talking con men who need your money NOW...
I'm sorry for all of your collective losses.
By the way - how do I know all of this information? I used to sell them!! That is, until I got married a long time ago, and saw that making a living cheating others was not a very nice way to spend your life.
Blessings!

Anonymous

Outside of the scam and the cost for the TR-2810, does anyone have an opinion on whether these speakers can actually be used without ruining the TV?

Anonymous

I could not believe when my husband can home with a set of speakers,TR2810's.I asked him were did he buy them from?waiting for him to tell me the name of the store he got them from.When hee told me he got them jrom a guy in a van ,I almost died. No receipt,DUMMMMMMMMM.Well he hasn't connected them yet.I hope there good,and don't mess up the TV& Computer.
Well anyone out there that has the TR2810's? Are they any good?Are they shield ?

Anonymous

I miss spelled came

dumbass
Unregistered guest
You guys are stupid...

Anonymous

dumbass says: "you guys are stupid" So what are you, a dumbass?

DONT MESS WITH ME!!! !!!!FAT BOY GLENN SMITH
Unregistered guest
YES!!!! IF HAVE ANY PROBLEMS WITH SPEAKERS CALL TR REASEARCH BETTER A.K.A. DOGG DIGITAL OWNWER NAME IS GLENN SMITH OFFICE IS HUNTING BEACH CA HE WILL TELL YOU HE THE WARRANTY DEPARTMENT IF YOU HAVE A COMPLAINT TO PLACE IF YOU REACH GLENN sMITH HE IS THE OWNER & THE COPY RIGHT aRTIST WHO STEALS OTHER people iDEAS & MAKE CHEAP SPEAKERS AS YOU KNOW !!!HE CAN BE REACH AROUND 10:30 AM WHEN THE ROACH TRUCK ARRIVES AT HIS OFFICE :: PULLS UP IN MERCEDES BENZ LIC PLATES SAYS ::::DOGG DIGITAL::::HE WILL TELL YOU NO REFUND IF YOU DIDNT PURCHES IT FROM HIS OFFICE :: WILL IT WAS SOLD FROM HIS OFFICE ::: YOU WILL FIND OUT
HE CAN BE REACH @949-355-6008 GLENN SMITH DOGG DIGITAL : TR REASEARCH : GOD KNOWS WHAT NAME HE WILL COME NEXT OR WHAT OTHER NAME OR PROUDUCT
can't reach him there call the office 714-894-5888 dont take no for answer :samana or kathern KNOW NOTHING ABOUT SPEAKERS WHO CAN BLAME THEM:::::::::will tell you he is busy if you have a complaint :::::GLENN SMITH FREE SPEAKERS

HE GIVES FREE SPEAKERS IF YOU KNOW INFORMATION :::::::::-OF SOME ELS PRODUCT :::
4 EMPLOYEE SAMANA & KATHERN & ART I HOPE U R MAKING THE BIG BUCKS QUIT MAKEING FAT BOY RICH I HOPE HE PAYS SALARY PLUS COMM YOU SHOULD BE MAKING ANYWHERE FROM ?THOUSOUND A MONTH ANYTHING LESS THEN THAT U R BEING RIPPP OFF !!!!4 EMPLOYESS FOR SO CALLED CORP YHEA RIGHT ! RIPP OFF CONSUMERS & EMPLOYEE YOU NEED REAL JOB U KNOW WHERE 2 FIND ME :::::::::::::::::::::::::::p
GLENN SMITH FREEE SPEAKERS::::::::::::

HAVE A SUPER SELL OUT dAY

FROM THE B***C THATS RIGHT ! !!!!! I BITE BACK

Unregistered guest
Ok everyone. I bought a pair of theater research 2900 on ebay. These are the ones with the powered subs. I paid 300.00. these speakers are worth every penny. I have a $ 5000.00 stereo in my car and I know what sounds good. These speakers are loud and they sound good. They don't sound like $2500.00 speakers, but they are better that anything else for the price. Go to best buy and listen to the garbage they have for around $300.00. So here is the low down. If you want to buy a good speaker for a good price you won't find anything better.

Bronze Member
Username: Okiecaver

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 22
Folks, folks, folks....

I work for our state Department of Human Services. We are constantly warning our clients about these guys.

We rank the White Van guys up there with miracle waterless cookware, Magic water filters, etc. All are wildy inflated items of marginal performance or usefulness.

They operate the same, to deceive and defraud. Yes they may work , but they are taking money, in a lot of instances, from people who can least afford it using false claims and pressure sales.

They are defrauding the government by selling without proper licenses, not paying sales tax or withholding.

Finally they defraud their employees by pulling the old "independent contractor" routine These guys have to buy the merchandise, pay for the sales material, rent the vans, pay for the gas, then are told to take ANYTHING to make a sale. The end result is they make little or no money.

Scam? You better believe it!
Brock

DJ
Unregistered guest
Does anyone know if non-shielded speakers will cause problems for a projection TV?

Username: Sl5290

I am interested in piano gross black cabinet. Does anyone get a pair.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 316
DJ--

A non-shielded center channel will likely cause a problem. Non-shielded front speakers might cause a problem, depending on how close they are to the television and the magnetic pull in their drivers. It is smart to not buy unshielded speakers for the front end of a surround system. But if you already have a pair of unshielded front speakers just try and separate them at least 3 feet from the television. It won't damage the tv anyway, but it will cause lines and waviness if there is a problem. If it causes a problem they either have to be moved farther apart or you will need new shielded front speakers and maybe use them for surround speakers.

Shirley--

You want a black piano gloss cabinet or black piano gloss cabinets with speakers in them?

There are various manufacturers that make speakers with black piano gloss cabinets. The finish usually comes at a premium and shows a lot of dust and fingerprints--but they are beautiful when clean.

To recommend any it would be necessary to know your room size, your budget, your receiver, and whether you want a complete 5.1 surround speaker system or just two front speakers, or two front speakers and a center speaker.

Unregistered guest
$400.00 for 2 pairs of TR-500 in piano black.

JAY CHENG
Unregistered guest
HELLO IF ANYONE WANTS TO GET RID OF THERE SPEAKERS FOR A CHEAP PRICE EMAIL ME AT AGKAGENT@YAHOO.COM

dontfall4it
Unregistered guest
I can't even put into words how full of BS this TR product is...If you read the manual and even check out the website trtheaterresearch.com you can see that this is a high-tech con. My brother gave me the TR-6010 speakers as a gift and he thinks he got a deal by paying $180. By reading the phony 3page owner's manual (in its entirety) I could tell by all the typos and errors that this deal was a crock. I feel bad for my bro but I learned a lesson I won't forget. My husband priced some home theater systems and my brother would have been better off getting us a $200 theater system (any brand) from any store and it would have included speakers and receiver. Oh and the "700 Watts Total System Power" is a %#$$^%^ing lie. We also have a Pioneer 600 watt system and in comparison, the Theater Research speakers don't have anywhere near the watts that it claims. They sound o.k. but I would have got 40 a 40 or 50 dollar boom box and connected to my T.V. if I wanted to hear o.k. sounds. If the system says its 700 watts-- then thats what I want to hear. I agree that these white van salesmen should be honest about what they are selling and let the buyer determine whether they want the product or not. You should not be forced to settle for less that what you believed you were paying for. There are a lot of crooks, cons, scams, or whatever you want to call it so my advice is to go with your first instinct and keep your money in your pocket. You never know what you're gonna get when you buy products off the streets. At least if you buy from a store (markups or not) you know you can return it if you don't like it.

PayBack88
Unregistered guest
You guys all got scamed, i actually saw those guys last week at the bank....they thought that they had a sucker...so i bargained and then all of a sudden my friend knocked out the driver and took the white van with temp plates while i knocked the other guy out....we took the van and ditched it somewhere nice where nobody can find it....as far as the merchandise, i threw them piece of crap speakers out....how's that for a little payback

Scottsss
Unregistered guest
I bought 2 tr-2810 for $125 a piece and actually got a receipt fromt he van salesmen. I called the # on their and the company did indeed pick up the phone. I just pretended like I called the wrong #. The receipt even shows an address to send a letter within 3 days for full refund. After seeing this site I guess that's what I'll do but still, its not like $250 is a lot for these unless they really suck.

Anonymous

Hey all Sarasota FL the TR scam is here. Two kids green Ford van tried to sell me some TR stuff had the whole back full, surround, home theater etc etc. Said it was the Bose series TR blagh blagh blagh anyway said there boss got a double order of stuff and they had to get rid of it before he found out, even showed an invoice. Not to pushy just giving a good sales pitch/con. The boxes even had the price in big bold letters $3000 surround unit for $300, well I asked for their number and they said they didnt have one just moving into town from wyoming or sum such distant state. Gave them my number and asked for them to give me a call in an hour so I could do some research. Well I found this post area and am glad that I didnt listen to my impulsive side. BE AWARE.

pissed montrealer
Unregistered guest
PayBack88...Hope what you said is true...if it is....thumbsup to ya.....fu$$$ p$$cks are in Montreal.....have a hard time thinking I got a deal from pathetic low lifes using this technique...OK.....gotta say they were pretty good.....but when you pay them to leave you alone...its a whole other story. Gonna have to find a Payback of my own....really surprised this type of activity takes place in Montreal..by the way, I payed 300$ CAN for Audio Research III set.....I was very surprised to see they work....and didn't blow my amp....but still pieces of s$$t from A to Z.....no fu$k$$ petty for these fuckas and their families....nex time I see one, I'll run him over and piss on his cadaver....Ejoy your MADE IN TAIWAN - SRAS-infected speakers.....

Unregistered guest
GUYS (and gals) stay away from white van speakers. How could anyone buy speakers UNHEARD from someone THEY DON'T KNOW? One born every minute, huh? Problem I see here is too many people trying to get something for nothing. There are great deals out there on awesome audio but none available from white vans. Read...learn...listen. Thats how you find the deals.

Unregistered guest
I'm thinkin about buying a pair of 2810's for cheap. can anyone tell me if they are sheilded? i've read this entire thread, and there seems to be varying opinions as to whether this is a scam or not. im sure that you can get the components for 4-5 bucks, and that it really does cost $25 bucks to make in Korea, but all i really wanna know is if these speakers are a scam, or do they really put out 400W...would they ruin my tv if i placed them close?

Image link: http://i3.ebayimg.com/01/i/01/cd/f7/59_1_b.JPG

Unregistered guest
forgot to ask if people could email me a reply to my post i'd really appreciate it.

Silver Member
Username: Gman

Mt. Pleasant, SC

Post Number: 545
Speakers do not put out watts unless they have built-in amplifiers. And generally only self-powered subwoofers have built-in amps, although a couple of former Paradigm models had them. There are a number of 3-way speakers with self-powered woofers.

If a speaker can handle a 400 watt input, that has less to do with loudness than the sensitivity and has little to do with the quality of the speaker. A 93 db speaker with the ability to accept 100 watts will sound many times louder than an 85 db speaker that accepts 500 watts.

The literature that the guys supply is all phony. The reviews are phony as are the invoices. Anyone can print on magazine paper reviews and fake specs.

There is no free lunch. If you buy speakers that have never been reviewed by a reputable publication or that you have never listened to--then you are at the mercy of not practicing due diligence.

Anonymous

Someone take TR-8200 off my hands. Speakers are tested and works. FREE!! You pay for delivery or pick up in Greater Vancouver Area (Canada).
klkool@hotmail.com

Unregistered guest
Finally, there is a free lunch!

Anonymous

i just bought the tr 1410 but it did not come with the instructions and i cant get hold of the company. i am hopeing that one of you would be so kindley as to email me the instructions if u can. thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Rickypearson

Post Number: 23
......Umm take a Positive and a Negitive From the Speakers and Connect it to a positive and the negitive of the Receiver

M A W
Unregistered guest
They're in San Diego, CA. My husband was just duped today by a couple of skinhead looking dudes in a black SUV of some sort. He bought the TR7000 home theater system for $250. Same story...their boss put in an order and the warehouse gave them too many. They didn't want the systems to go back to their boss, so they actually told my husband that they just wanted to sell the systems for some extra spending money to take to the stripper bars! So we can't even figure out how to hook these things up, get on line and find this string. A little depressing, but I can't say that I'm surprised. I will call a local radio station tomorrow and ask them to put this on the air. Slimey.

ksg
Unregistered guest
Thank you all for your stories, you have saved me time and money. I'm glad that I did my research first and that sites like this are here to protect us.
peace
ksg

big jj
Unregistered guest
PEOPLE, PEOPLE, PEOPLE! Seriously, grow up and accept responsibility. This is not a scam...it's a HUSTLE!! You get hustled every day of your life. People lie to you all the time when you're buying products. I have TR-1410s and i have friends that have them too. They sound great and they're better than the crap they've got marked up in all the retail stores!! People buy crap for the stupidest reasons!! All these people driving chromed out suv's and nice rides with NO MONEY in their pocket or bank acct....all cuz some rapper rented the car so he could drive it in his video then paid some good looking extras $100 to sit in the car with him so he could look like a p*mp. Don't think you didn't get hustled when cadillac endorsed his video so you'd buy their suvs. Don't be so freakin naive as to think that just because it's in a store and has a name like Sony or Bose that it's worth the price or is a better product. Also, read some of the posts above like the ones from Christine and Old Frt. If you buy speakers off the street from some dudes in a white van saying they came up with extras...do not be a f*ckin hypocritical a**hole and get mad. You wanted to get your greedy little hands on a steal of a deal...and you wanted to bargain those guys into giving the speakers to you for as little as possible....even though you saw the price on them. You can't walk into best buy and do that buddy....and you'll most likely pay more for less there. Sales people make the world go round baby....we're the ones that make jobs for the rest of the folkds that don't have the guts to hear "no" all day. We're the ones getting dirty hustling and getting rejected all day long getting the product(no matter what it is) out there. As with any product whether it be on the street or in a store...if you don't know anything about whatever it is you're buying then you shouldn't be buying it until you educate yourself. You're probably the same person that whines when you get hustled into a "no money or low money down and low easy payments" deal on a new car or toy....then found out you're an impulsive, greedy, uneducated schmuck cuz you realized all the interest you're gonna pay now that you've got your new (depreciating)toy and you're still not getting laid!! hehe...just rambling. But on the real...if you get hit up by a white van...then consider yourself lucky cuz you get to check the offer and likely get yourself a nice deal!! Give 'em a high five and say f*ck yeah!! And if you don't want them...don't f*ckin buy them then whine about how they forced you to(like some of these people above)!! Get a f*ckin spine and say "no" if you don't want speakers!! geez. I don't walk in to footlocker and slap the sales guy there cuz he wanted to sell me a shoe for 10x the cost it took to make it just cuz it says nike or jordan or shaq on it!!

jj128
Unregistered guest
M A W......How the hell are you gonna post something like that when you haven't even hooked them up???!!!! What a freakin tool you are. Your husband got duped?? Unbelievable. Your husband got greedy and saw a steal in front of him and he took it. He probably got it too...although I'm not personally familiar with the model.

Username: Bob465

Well hi guys. Just got scammed into the TR-1410s today in the LA area. Can't believe it! I should know better by now. I take great care in NOT falling for this kinda BS.

But I must say, I just cranked 'em with some Fugazi on my HK AVR300 and they CRANK! Not much bass outta those 10 incher subs but together with my Infinity SSW-212 sub they CRANK! Way more than my Infinity RS625s. After reading the posts here I guess I paid too much at $350 but...

I'm still considering trying to return 'em given the scam. I know that by law I have 3 days but I didn't get a receipt! I was rushed and really f-ed up. Anybody had success w/out a receipt?

oh - as far as the shielding is concerned. Yes, those magnets are huge but not really a problem if oriented correctly. My 40" tube Mits has a degauss button so not a prob finding the non-interference sweet spot.

Bob
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us