Help me spend $1000 picking a receiver

Username: Mpstan

Post Number: 1
Care to help a first time poster?

My Onkyo 787 has died at age 6.

I have a digital cable box, CD,DVD, the kids' X Box, an older nice 36 inch flatscreen and someday HDTV. An awesome set of Klipsch floor speakers (large towers, subwoofer, Center and surround) in our media room. Also a PC in another room I wouldn't mind linking somehow to play mp3's.

We mostly watch movies and listen to music.

Should I widen my search beyond Denon and Onkyo? At my age I can afford what I want. But I would really prefer to keep it to $1000 or so.

Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Daniel_canada

Canada

Post Number: 209
NAD T754? Anyone?

Post Number: 2
Any particular reason for this one? I'll check it out. Thanks Dan.

Silver Member
Username: Jethro

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 122
For your current usage and possible future usage given price, look into harman kardon 645, 745, 7300. Look into the yamaha rx-v1700, 2700. Look into the denon 3806/2807. Look into the marantz sr7001. With the klipsch speakers you have I would tend to prefer harman kardon and marantz, but your listening style and tastes will most likely differ from mine. For HT and klipsch I prefer the HK over all others. For music and klipsch I prefer the marantz over all others. This said, to me there is not that much of a night and day type of difference between any of these receivers with any of the applications at hand. They are all very subtle differences that I have noticed listening very critically and mostly in showrooms. So, my advice to you is the one of the hk's listed or the marantz, but ultimately your going to pull the trigger so your ear will determine obviously which sound you like the best, just be prepared to not be amazed at the differences you hear. Also don't be fooled by listening to two different setups w/ different speakers into thinknig one receiver is better sounding than the other, because it will be the speakers that will make the greater difference in sound.
I'd give Dan the hell yah on the NAD T754 for its musical capability, but I still have a bitter taste in my mouth from 2 old NAD power amps that I still have in my possession that bit the dust. I have a grudge if you will with NAD, and its a load of crap that I should just get over, but i cannot and will not. Someone else i'm sure that has had nothing but good things with said company will chime in and give you advice on NAD, as they do sound great!

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 11566
Take a look at Outlaw Audio as well.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 4635
Berny, another Outlaw rec? You are starting to sound like a broked record...oh, it must be the very good phono stages built into Outlaw gear.

Perry, please also note some of the specs on the potential receivers. Of note is the power consumption ratings of various competators.

Outlaw stuff is generally rated as honest high power consumption. You might read this as high rate power supplies. And you know where high power goes...to musical spikes and rapid recovery from the same.
This is good.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11575
I'm beginning to feel like a rep:-)

"Broken record"??? My kids wonder what that is.

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the help guys.

I appreciate the help and suggestions; it seems like one can only research a finite number of receivers.

I've spent a ton of time researching the Yamaha RX-V2700; not any formal reviews yet that I can find but it's around $1000 and appears to fit the bill. Thanks for mentioning the unit!

Also reading everything I can about the Denon 2807/3806; still torchuring myself by looking also at Denon's 4306.

What do you guys think of Yamaha in general and how this unit would compare?

Thanks

Perry

Post Number: 5
Another question: How do you guys think a Roku Soundbridge would compare to the ethernet or Wi/Fi connection supplied by the 2700 or the 4306? If it is better or the same, perhaps I could obtain a Soundbridge and a Denon 2807 or 3806 for the price of a Yamaha 2700 and get similar performance and features??

Perry

Bronze Member
Username: Jorge59

Rio de JaneiroBrasil

Post Number: 98
Perry,

You don't have to spend $1.000 to get a good receiver for your typical usage.
If you like to try Marantz, check out http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?&category=search&query=mara ntz&searchfields=brand&start=30

The SR 7500 looks like a good choice and would match well your speakers.

Username: Charlieb

Bucks county, Pa USA

Does anyone know if the 2700 has the ability to route just the center channel audio through the HDMI cable? or any other receiver that does. From what I am reading, there is a lot to like with the 2700. small dislike is the minor power for 2nd and 3rd rooms..
I have a Vizio plasma that I am trying to figure out a way to have the built-in speakers be a center channel for a surround sound system. Either I use the component inputs and route the audio in from my old Onkyo receiver or by another flat center channel speaker. The Vizio has alternate audio input for the HDMI inputs, but they only work for DVI inputs where no audio is coming into the HDMI jack. with standard HDMI input the alternate audio rca jacks are disabled.

PS: if it works, I can justify to my wife that I would not have to buy the very expensive flat center channel speakers... :-)

Silver Member

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 140
you don't want to use your tv for center channel duty. your better off using a "phantom" center channel configuration w/ your receiver or even listening in stereo than to do this.

Username: Stbarte

Ok, new to the site and looking to spend 4,000 on reciever, speakers, pre amp and such. Was looking at the Denon 4306 and Paradim speakers. First, is seperates the way to go for great sound? Second, is Rotel afforadble. If you had 4,000 to spend what would be your preferable reciever, speakers and pre-amp. I want to have some knowledge before I purchase and or get ripped off. Thanks for your help in advance.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1855
If you're into your music, have a look at the Arcam receivers - they knock spots off the Japs in my view...

The Arcam AVR250 and 300 are in the process of being replaced by the AVR280. You may find one at a good price.

Arcams are light on features, but they score highly when it comes to sonics.

Regards,
Frank.

Username: Stbarte

Post Number: 2
Thanks Frank, I'm checking into Arcam. What speakers would you suggest. 2 floor standing speakers would be fine as I am much more into music than films. Also, am I wasting my money by buying a reciever with 5.1 or 7.0 channel options verses a 2 channel stereo reciever? Again, I am new to all this and my questions might sound rudimentery but, do I need an amp with a
reciever like the Arcam AVR 300? Thanks in Advance
Denise

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12555
"Japs"???

WTF???

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12557
I don't mean to drag this thread down but that word is derogatory in any context. I don't see a reason why you find it necessary to use just to drive a point.

And, no I am not Japanese, but that is irrelevant.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 5541
Frank, I am ashamed for you.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1866
What did I say?

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1867
To expand, there is nothing derogatory about use of the word Jap in the UK. Certainly, no offence was intended.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 1868
Denise,

If you spend the same money on a 2-channel system, that cash will go into less items and should provide better quality as a result. It's not a given of course, since some brands trade on their name, but generally it is true.

Therefore, if surround sound is only a minor need, or even not a need at all (some people don't WANT 5 or 7 speakers and a sub in their room), then a stereo amplifier or receiver (a receiver simply means there is a radio in the unit) with a pair of speakers may be enough for you. In this case you could either spend less, or if you spend the same amount, you could get a better music result.

Another thing to bear in mind would be the quality of the source (CD player, DVD player etc). It's possible to buy a DVD player for £20 nowadays and yet it's possible to spend £2000 on one too. This is not just because of the brand, but because different techniques, better components and a lot more design work has gone into the product. For example, the Arcam DVD players are optimised to be able to provide a half-decent musical result from a DVD source. They sound as good as fairly good dedicated CD players. If you haven't considered this in the equation, I recommend that you do...

Regards,
Frank.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12559
Well, then cheers...just wondering:-)

Silver Member

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 144
im in the restaurant business, and we refer to jalapenos as japs
« Previous Thread Next Thread »