Dead Turntable

I have a Yamaha P-26 turntable that has been in storage for 10 years and now does not work. Does anyone have any troubleshooting tips?

Thanks,
Jim

Paul T
Dead as in no power up or dead as in the turntable will not spin?? If the turntable isn't spinning check and see if you have a direct drive or belt driven. Funny you should post this for I just tonight took my Technics 24 year old turntable out tonight (been in storage since we moved to this house 28 years ago... Remodeled living room with full wall of bookshelves and fireplace and finally had a set up that allowed room for a turntable. God I forgot how wonderful LPs sounded... so clear and warm.. Getting back to your turntable, if it is belt driven your belt may have become dried rotted. replacements are available at http://www.elexatelier.com/ , http://www.elexatelier.com/ or http://www.needledoctor.com ... good luck, definitely worth getting it up and running again...

Unregistered guest
I have a Pioneer PL 570 turntable 1977 model solid wood. During military relocation, the movers damaged my turntable. The control arm is bent and a few other minor damages. Can anyone recommend a top quality turntable repair shop. I perfer a repair shop in the Maryland area. Thanks

Rusty11111
Unregistered guest
Hi,
My luxman pd-375 t/t won't go. The sound works but the platter won't spin. It has a vacuum system
& possibly this is malfunctioning & affecting the
operation of the platter. Also how does one remove the platter ? Hope someone can help.
Rusty.

Unregistered guest
Hi, I have a Pioneer PL-55DX turntable. It needs some work(auto return doesn't work, speed fluctuates, needs new needle). Can someone recomend a repair shop. I live in Detroit but expect to have to ship it out. Thanks.

Anonymous

if you are looking for a shop to ship it to
try stereo exchange in chicago
their website is www.turntablerepair.com
david

Unregistered guest
i have recently moved house and my decks have been in storage for three months. i unpacked them today and one of the tuntables isn't working. i have numark tt200 direct drive turntables. one of the turntables doesn't spin. i owned them for two years and i keep them in good condition. can anyone help me?

Anonymous

I just got a Denon DP-DJ101 direct drive and my turntable spins too fast in the wrong direction when I turn it on. Also there are buttons that control pitch on/off and 33/45 that don't turn on. Does anyone know of a repair place or technician in the Denver area?

Anonymous

My 1980's vintage Technics turntable has developed an erratic speed problem. Would this be an indication that it needs a new belt? If the belt has stretched due to age, could this cause it to spin erratically?

Unregistered guest
Panasonic SL-H205 automatic turntable - runs slow.
Is there an adjustment I can make?
Also, where can I buy a replacement belt (or does
it use an idler wheel)?
thanks

Unregistered guest
Can anyone recomend someone in the MD/DC/VA area who can align a Stanton cartridge on a Denon turntable and set the anti skate and weight correctly ?Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6276

Most probably you can do it yourself:

http://www.audiophilia.com/features/cartridge_setup.htm

Anonymous

Hello, I wonder if you can help me. I have a Pioneer turntable model PL570BK. It has had minimal use but has decided to malfunction. When I press the start button on the right of the controls, nothing happens, the arm does not engage and the platter does not spin. If I nudge the platter a bit, it begins to spin and the needle/arm responds, however the revolutions are slow and erratic. There seems to be little change in the speed when the switch is moved from 33 to 45. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. I have already sent away for and replaced the drive belt. That was not the solution although I am sure it is a plus to have a new drive belt.
Thanks for your consideration.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6610

The table needs to be serviced by an authorized repair center. There is nothing you can do to troubleshoot and repair the problem.

Unregistered guest
I have a late '70's Zenith sterio (Model# IS4030, Serial# XO7875513). The turntable is frozen--it will not move, and the unit makes a low humming noise when put into "phono" mode. I would like to do my own repair. Is this problem repairable, and where would I buy appropriate parts.

Pammy
Unregistered guest
I have a Sony turntable that ran through a Sony amplifer. I have just bought a Sony Home Theatre System minus the DVD. Can I connect the turntable to the HTS receiver?amplifier? If so how do I go about it?

Anonymous

Hi I have a DENON - DP51F D/DRIVE, i get power, the platter turns and the arm seems to work, but I get no sound when I plug it in to my amp. HELP

Michele r
Unregistered guest
Hi I'm new to this forum and really need some help here. I have an old Yamaha P-30. I just recently dragged it out of storage (sounds familiar on this site) to digitize all my old LPs.

I needed a new needle which I purchased .. the turn table took about 2 spins and the belt snapped.

I just purchased a new belt - first of all it is a little thicker then my last belt - will that be a problem? Also I have no clue how to put the new belt on.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Michele r
Unregistered guest
Hi I'm new to this forum and really need some help here. I have an old Yamaha P-30. I just recently dragged it out of storage (sounds familiar on this site) to digitize all my old LPs.

I needed a new needle which I purchased .. the turn table took about 2 spins and the belt snapped.

I just purchased a new belt - first of all it is a little wider then my last belt - will that be a problem? Also I have no clue how to put the new belt on.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Michele r
Unregistered guest
oops sorry that posted twice

Username: Biff

MD/VA/DC

Post Number: 1
In the early to mid-1980s I recall Denon manufacturing a direct drive turntable with a vacuum system that would flatten the record to the platter. Does anyone know of such a turntable or anything similar? Thanks.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 6962

Record clamps have mostly been substituted for the vacuum systems of yesterday. They are simpler, quieter, more realiable and do not damage a record by excessive vacuum force.

Username: Kaitham

Hello everyone,

I have a Technics turntable from 1982 or 83 (I forgot the model now) which is a bit flaky now. I have not used it since 1992. The problem with it is that if I move the stylus arm to play a record it immediately wants to retract it back to its original place. What could be the problem with this? I noticed that there is a plastic gear mechanism that moves when the arm retracts back. Could it also be that the stop button's circuit is "sticky" so that it is constantly in a closed circuit?

Regards,

Kai

Username: Jlgolf

JVC QL-F4, direct drive quartz lock. The speed is no longer correct and runs fast after my young son thought it would be fun to stop the platter several times. After replacing the stylus that he snapped off, I found the speed problem. Can this be repaired. The motor appears to function properly so I suspect there must be a speed control somewhere but it couldn't be found. Now, I suspect "quartz lock" means, electronic speed control. Can anyone offer help or is the TT toast?

Thanks
Jeff

Username: Cybereco

I have a Pioneer PL-514, when I try to play a record the arm upon making contact immediatly goes to the centre of the record and then auto returns. Some one has suggested it might be the needle or stylus. any ideas?

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9295

Sounds like you no longer have a stylus.

Username: Cybereco

Post Number: 2
I've found out the problem. It was adujsting the weight and the anti skate mechanism

Username: Tarheel1972

Jan, I see you are in Dallas. I have a Sony PS-FL1 that will no longer deliever an audio signal, but mechanically seems to be fine. As you may know, the RCA cable is hardwired to the board. I pulled the cover and the connection appears OK, so maybe the board has failed??? Can you refer someone in the Dallas area that might be able to repair this unit, given its rather unique design? Thanks

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 9720

I don't know who services Sony today as the two shops that had been doing their repairs have gone out of business. One of those was the Sony factory repair center. Try KO Electronics on LBJ. If they don't service Sony now, they can probably lead you to someone who can.

Username: Tarheel1972

Post Number: 2
thanks. I am familiar with KO and I will give them a call. I also sent an email to Sony to see what they had to say.

Username: Winkle

Hill city, Kansas Usa

I have a Sony PS-FL1 that after a move plays much too fast -- probably 78rpm or faster -- when set for 33rpm. This is a direct drive unit, but I can't see any way to adjust the speed like my other DD Sony turntable has. There are two holes in the circuit board cover that have 33 and 45 marked on them. Are these for adjusting speed with some type of tool? If so, I'll take it to the repair shop. If it has been destroyed, I'll look for another one.

Username: Manualrebello

Kalyan, Maharashtra India

there would be a hole at the bottom of the drive motor that needs to be adjusted. check for this with a watchmakers screw driver (-). Also make sure that the switch is set to a record settings and a record playing on the turntable. if this does not help then check the drive belt of the direct drive spindle.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us