Xr-55 on its way!!!

Silver Member
Username: Rsxman

Post Number: 143
Sold my vsx-52tx and ordered the xr-55 from jr.com today!!

I'll be matching it up with JBL e60's, ec25 and two e10's.

I can't wait for this to get here so I can hear the quality of it, i hope it lives up to the hype. Anyway ill update when it comes in and when I've been able to listen to different souces.

Gold Member
Username: Edster922

Abubala, Ababala The Occupation

Post Number: 3103
It will live up to its "hype" much better with some non-bright speakers, Eric.

Even I, Panny-lover extraordinaire, am not very confident about this combo.

Silver Member

Post Number: 145
Well i like bright sounding equip like when i had my athenas and yamaha a while back, if the treble is too harsh then ill just adjust it and if it really sucks, then ill sell the panny and go with hk, marantz or another elite unit, either way its win win for me

Username: Mark_s

St. Paul, MN

Post Number: 4
My XR 55 is on its way too. (I blame Edster.)

I will be hooking up to Paradigm Studio 40.v3's.

I'll give ya'll my most honest comparo re: the Panasonic vs. my HK surround receiver vs. my NAD C370.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2328
WC Fields had a saying that relates to this.

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 284
Listening right now to my Athena AS-F1s with my 90's Yamaha RX-595....Pulled the Rotel just to see if the Yamaha still worked after being in the closet for a while.

How's this for the newspaper ad...

RECEIVER Yamaha Stereo 80Wpc Excellent Condition $90.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3111
Rick,

I thought you had a NAD amp?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3112
> WC Fields had a saying that relates to this.

Actually it's PT Barnum who is usually (mis)credited with "There's a sucker born every minute." The real historical source of the quote turns out to be one of his rivals, funny enough:

http://www.historybuff.com/library/refbarnum.html

Interesting, I didn't know Fields, Barnum or David Hannum were familiar with mid/high end audio subculture and its overpriced cables and snobbery-for-sale! LOL

Silver Member
Username: Twebbz

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 289
Yea Ed...Nad C370 for the AS-F2s & Rotel Rx-1052 for the AS-F1s. The 90's Yamaha has been in the closet for a few years so I'm getting rid of it. I'll be moving to a large house soon and will need a third system so the Energy C-3s came today and I need another receiver. The Yamaha which I thought I'd use is crap. I hooked it up to the AS-F1s and immediately noticed a big hole in the lower midrange-upper bass. Ya know, I used to think that the Yamaha was good with my old Large Advents...That is until I got the AS-F2s. The Yammy's been in the closet ever since.

Silver Member

Post Number: 146
Art just because you dont like this receiver doesnt mean you should go around making fun of people who do.

Not all of use have $1000 to blow on a cd player because we have nothing else to spend money on.

I wish to see if it works well, I didnt ask anyone to critic me for doing it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3127
don't worry about it Eric, my guess is that Art is just worried that if more people get wind of how great this $230 Panny is, many of his favorite small higher-end audio shops are gonna end up going out of business because the "you get what you pay for" mantra that keeps high end audio alive will be shattered into a million little pieces for all but a really tiny fraction of the consumer public.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2336
Keep smokin' crack Eddie...lol. Eric I'm entitled to my opinion just as you are to yours.

Bronze Member
Username: Rushwj

Post Number: 22
just to add to the whole discussion. i also just ordered a new panasonic xr55 a few days ago and will be here shortly. i won't be able to post any reviews as i'm going out of town for a week, but after my return i'll let people know what i think. i've currently got a HK with paradigm studio 20s. a very pleasant sound, but the receiver has developed an inherent hiss/buzz that is not present with an older HK receiver when plugged into the same equipment in the same room placement.

additionally, when i hooked up the older HK i noticed that the sound was very much improved. it just seemed more open and alive. i had thought that the two had the same watt ratings, but after looking it up online the older HK 40 has 55W, and the HK 125 has 45W. could this 10W be the difference in sound quality? if so, i'm excited to upgrade to a little more power here. we'll see in a week!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3133
William, I heard the exact same hiss/buzz with about 3 different HKs they had at a Circuit City. Now as much as people love to diss CC's awful listening rooms, I don't think this could be blamed on poor setup. The Onkyo and Pioneer AVRs they had did not have the same hiss/buzz.

Partially though I am probably spoiled by the zero noise floor I get from the Panny.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3134
dear Art, the only thing this mofo smokes is OBSOLETE ANALOG GEAR!!! lol

speaking of mofos, haven't seen Dale Wiley around for a very long time.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2338
VINYL RULES !!!!!!! lol!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 147
Got the xr-55 today.

I was very surprised at how light it really is...its nothing compared to how heavy analog receivers are.

That by itself was a plus for me!

Hooking it up was really easy, bi-wired my jbls and adjusted the levels. It would be nice I could adjust the different frequency ranges for each speaker but thats ok.

One thing I noticed right away is how much punchier and solid my subwoofer sounds. On my elite, sony and yamaha the subwoofer never really had a huge effect even at max volume at the crossover at 80hz.......now it makes my walls seem like they are going to buckle in.

Surprisingly the jbls sound almost exactly like they did with my old elite receiver...the highs are alittle too bright but i just turned the treble down and put the phase filter alittle bit more neutral and that solved the highs right away!

So far everything is rocking!

I popped in saving private ryan on dts and it was awesome. One thing on my elite was that on DD or DTS mode, it would filter the dialoge into the left and right speaker aswell as the center, which it wasnt suppose to do...the xr-55 has taken care of that! Now unless there is suppose to be dialoge coming from the sides, it is confined to just the center channel.

Mids sound excellent, bass it a huge improvement and the highs after tweaking alittle bit because of how bright jbls are, sound great now.

Thanks Edster for having the guts to try this out and recommend this to us......Im very happy with this purchase.

Silver Member
Username: Tpizzle

Post Number: 453
ya i have one too and love it. sorry if this is a terrible question but what is the phase filter and how do i access it? thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 148
it has to do with bire wiring the speakers if your speakers can do it, have a different set of wires for the high and low frequencies.....your towers should have 4 terminals on them if they can be bi-wired, otherwise you cant access it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3184
Eric,

no problem, just pass the Good Word along and help your friendly neighborhood Edster continue to fight the Good Fight!

As you'll see from scanning the other threads, we've got the PANNYS ENVY CLUB (a.k.a. the UNPLANNED OBSOLESCENCE CLUB) breathing down our necks these days...yeeee-haw!

lol

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2354
Did I read something about bright sound. I've never turned the treble down on a good piece of audio gear in my life. Enjoy.

Anonymous

I don't buy audio gear with treble controls!

Username: Munners

Post Number: 7
Finally found the Panny here in the land of aus,still had to order it through the Good Guys for $670au,like everthing here it costs about 50% more than over there.Now being a little slow to move into the HT gear here my system consisted of my beloved Marantz pm340 amp with a couple of Marantz LS580 speakers which set me back 1500au about 25 years ago,Added a couple of 30 year old BIC formular5 monitor speakers as my rears hehe,well i have dragged this system all over australia over those years and many of parties to boot,but it just refuses to die.

Ok whilst im still in the market for some new speakers and was looking at some ascends which were in my budget,untill ,shipping/ brokerage fees and/or import duty/taxes etc came into play,i now find myself chewing on the idea.

Oh well wtf ,lets just hook this up to my old bad boys and have a listen to a couple of movies anyway,threw a Bic into the centre and left one at the back as my surround hehe.Now before you start pissing yourself laughing,this was a very bad idea,Why you ask? because my wife sat in to have a listen, i explained to her that it wouldnt sound that good because it wasnt the right setup/old speakers/5.1/sub/ etc etc,.
I slid Return of the King in and went straight to the Major Battle scene,my wife was that impressed she was trying to pull the pin on new speakers? wtf wtf,although i was inpressed myself i had to play it down as much as i could,she wasnt budging so it now looks like a sabatage job on my behalf lol.
We dont excactly live in the dark ages over here,and my friend does run the HT Business here,mainly higher end gear,so i have heard alot of different HT systems over the years,just been a slackass to upgrade,anyway he cant sell Pannasonic so i might go down there and give him the shits and see what speakers he will sell me to keep my mouth shut,what are mates for.

Ps: Edster how do you think Paradigm studio 60s would fair with the panny? with a cc450 centre?
can get these for $1800 au which would be $1331 us? Good ? bad? just for 2xfront and centre

Username: Munners

Post Number: 8
The good old cheese and kisses,you have to admire them,although there hearing is good enough to take part in 5 conversations at once,and there eyesight is good enough to tell you what grade that diamond is,But when it comes to looking at a picture or listening to speakers everything is black or white/chalk and cheese?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3188
Good for you, Munners! Yeah I think there is a lot of fear going on around this little Panny.

Similar thing happened in the wine world a few years ago with the introduction of ridiculously cheap wines from South America (Chile in particular, I think) which equaled or bettered much more expensive wines from California and France.

I have not heard the Paradigm Studio series but they are said to be much warmer than the Monitor series, so they should pair very well with the Panny. Are you saying that the Ascends would cost about the same as the Studios down there after shipping/customs fees? Yikes.

It'd be very interesting if you could take the Panny into your friend's shop and AB it against his receivers, now that would make for a fascinating long review.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2364
"Yeah I think there is a lot of fear going on around this little Panny."

Plain silly! Well...may be a little afraid I'll have to hear it again.

Silver Member

Post Number: 149
Ok Art, we get it, you dont like this receiver.

I like it, I bought it. Get over it.

Silver Member
Username: Sem

New York USA

Post Number: 530
Art, with all due respect, you're starting to sound like Paul :-)

Anonymous

behold, its the rise and fall of Art Kyle!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2366
Not really Sem. But upon retrospect Paul defended a reciever that is better at everything than the Panasonic to nearly everyones ridicule. That would include endless ridicule from Edster.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3206
Art either you have poor memory or you are rewriting history.

The only time I ragged on his Yamaha 2500 (which you did too, btw) was in the context of him ragging on everybody else who liked bookshelf speakers---so it was not bashing the Yammie for the sake of bashing the Yammie but only because he was endlessly ridiculing anyone who didn't have his beloved Cerwin Vegas.

Unlike Paul I have never ridiculed anyone for NOT having the Panny, I do however harsh on those who ridicule it without ever even listening to it. This never included you until your recent inexplicable Panny-phobic obsession.

sigh, Ecoustics should join the Comedy Channel...

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 2371
"so it was not bashing the Yammie for the sake of bashing the Yammie but only because he was endlessly ridiculing anyone who didn't have his beloved Cerwin Vegas."

Oh my.

Anonymous

Panny, Yammie?

Ecoustics should have a kiddies korner!

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeez!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us