Belt fell off (how, I don't know): need help replacing

Anonymous

Our turntable has been working great for a few years, and the rubber belt that turns the thing looks good, is still smooth and firm. It has, however, slipped off whatever gears it's supposed to catch. I have absolutely no idea how to thread the thing back on. Is there a standard path it follows, or is it brand-specific (it's a Fisher, about 15 years old)? Can anyone help?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3730

Normally a belt can be replaced by lifting the platter straight up and off the center spindle and looping the belt around the bottom drive wheel of the platter and the motor spindle. Since belts don't fall off when they are in good shape, it is a good assumption the belt on your 15 year old table has worn out and needs to be replaced.

http://www.turntablebasics.com/

Anonymous

Thanks for your help! I'd been looking at the belt and the gears and everything under the platter, but it never occurred to me that the belt actually went AROUND the platter and the drive wheel. Duh. I also found out how the belt fell off in the first place--it seems that the spouse had fiddled with the platter while trying to clean up a candle-wax spill. All is well, though, and I appreciate your help!

T_H_O_M
Unregistered guest
My turntable belt fell off a couple days ago when i was trying to fix a problem with the platter. You guys said that you just wrap the belt around the bottom drive wheel of the platter and the motor spindle. I'm not sure where the bottom drive is though, and are those the only two things that are needed to be wrapped around?
Thank You!

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4082

The bottom is underneath. Where else would you like to wrap the belt?

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 433
Hmmm.....

Silver Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 562
It depends on the turntable. Many turntables had a subplatter which the belt went around. Some turntables sent the belt around the whole platter (as mine does). Some even have multiple motors so the belt has to go round all of them. In essence though, the belt just goes around the spindle or drive wheel sitting on the motor and then around a subplatter usually sited directly below the main platter. It's unusual for a belt to go around anything else. After all, the platter is the only thing that's moving continuously. If the turntable has automatic functions such as auto armlift and/or return, this is usually accomplished by gearing on the arm and not by using the belt.

The most common reason why a belt will fall off its location is that it has stretched over time. Belts are made of rubber so they can stretch or even change shape (especially if you don't use the turntable often). The website Jan mentioned above can tell you about drive belts.

Regards,
Frank.

von
Unregistered guest
I'm having turntable trouble too. It plays very erratically - speed wise. Would this be an indication that I need a new belt? Maybe the belt has stretched, but would that cause it's speed to be erratic?

Bronze Member
Username: Dvautier

Bellevue, Wa Usa

Post Number: 21
My dual platter has several large inspection holes on it that are under the rubber mat. In fact most of those belt driven jobs are designed that way. Remove the platter by turning and lifting it up. Remove the rubber mat. Feed the belt around the motor drive capstan. Position the platter just above it's mounting location, and place the belt on the inner track on the underside of the platter, holding the belt in place with your fingers through the large inspection holes. Carefully slide the platter onto its spindle. Turn the platter several times to see if the belt is properly tracking. By the way put a few drops of light machine oil on the platter spindle while it is out.

DC SERVO MAN!
Unregistered guest
Hi,
Many thanks for this board! My DC Servo turntable dropped down a few shelves as I was connecting it to another component. Ouch! I believe all is well, as it fell to the rug, but the belt came off. I read earlier posts and tried what I heard and I didn't see how to direct the belt around the platter and the bottom drive wheel. I just don't see where. It appears to be too big or something? I'm new at this! If anyone can give me a link to something with pics I would really appreciate it. I'm doing this for my job, so time is a big factor.

Thanks,
Frank

DC SERVO MAN
Unregistered guest
Hi,
Thanks again for starting me with the right "key words."
I did a search and found the actual steps to install the belt. What a relief! The site is:
http://www.elexatelier.com/beltinstall.htm

Take care,
Frank

Jo Nobody
Unregistered guest
My belt is relativly new and it fell off when I was manually spinning the record backwards. When I try to put the belt back on the way you guys describe, their is too much slack in the belt. The belt cant be worn out can it. Oh yeah it is an Aiwa 1999 model

Username: Mags

Mamaroneck, NY United States

Post Number: 1
After some research it appears as though the rubber belt has fallen off and I have no idea how to reconnect it. I have a sony PS-LX250H turntable thats about 3 years old. I would like to put it back together but I need a picture to look at...do you know of a website that would have a diagram or a picture to use as a reference? Thanks

Username: Drsatan

Galway, Galway Ireland

Me too =( It's a sony. It came off when I lifted up the platter up. No idea how I got it on in the first place.

hARPER
Unregistered guest
i have the exact same turntable model (sony-LX-250H)...I made the mistake of spinning the record backwards and there is too much slack in the belt. it will ot play. I only just purchased this table 2 months ago! i guess i am not the only one. i am a visual learner, i need a diagram too piece all back together. please help!

Username: Chufey

Philadelphia, PA USA

Thanks and a hat tip to everyone who survived the same problem with the belt falling off. I wrapped the belt everywhere except the LP itself until I wised up and checked out the web site. And a special thanx to Jan Vigne who gave the very simple instruction of wrapping the belt on around the bottom of the plate, then onto the spindle. Wholaa!! works as good as ever.

Username: Enter_name_here

For all the folks having problems with the belt attatchment for your player. Here is what you do:
1. Get the platter (silver thing) off the base.
2. Grab your belt
3. Place it around the ledge underneath the platter.
4. Put your finger through the whole on the platter and attatch it to the motor.
5. Enjoy your music!!

Username: Freefry

Hi everyone,

This information was extremely helpful and prevented any further frustration. Thanks a lot.

Username: Sonicdeathmonkey

Anyone else have any visual representations on how to replace the belt on a Sony psLX250H record player? I just bought mine and it didn't work when I got home and I need to replace this belt. I know it's been talked about here before, but I'm a noob and I have no idea what you guys are talking about (parts names etc.), so if anyone has any pictures or can describe more clearly in Layman's terms as to what they are referring, I would greatly appreciate it.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 10308

No illustrations that I know of for replacing a belt. Take the table into any repair shop or decent audio shop and they can help you getting the table up and running. Be sure to tie down the arm and platter before transporting the table.

Username: Dgcarlin

Hey everyone, this video will show you exactly how to install a turntable belt:
http://www.archive.org/details/Turntable_Belt_Installation
As far as I know there's a standard set-up on every turntable. In any case it worked for my RCA Lab-1200 which is a pretty ordinary player.

Gold Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 7640
Hi Dan. despite the fact that every table has it's own specs and procedures, that is an excellent opening post for a new member, and a great link that will help a lot of people. I copied the link.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us