Home Theater Receiver and old McIntosh Speakers

Unregistered guest
I have a 30 year old pair of McIntosh ML-2M speakers that sound great when driven through an equalizer capable of delivering about 10db boost at very low frequencies. My old Onkyo rec'r with a tape monitor loop is dying, and I've been reading about the problems with modern rec'rs not having the tape loop. Ideally I'd like to take the L & R front channels and route them through the Equalizer which I already have, leaving the other channels straight up. But I'd need a Recvr that has a line in for audio on the independent channels. Other option would be to buy a stereo amp for just those two channels. Does anyone have a specific model suggestions, or ideas ?
BobB

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest

The Mac EQ can also be placed in the loop between pre amp out and main amp in. You do not, as a rule, want to EQ the line level inputs as they may overload and cause distortion.

Unregistered guest
Pardon me, Mr Vigne is absolutely right, I mispoke, what I meant to say is "..I need a Rec'vr that has a main amp in for audio on the front left and right channels. " I see plenty with preamp outputs. By the way the equalizer I have used for the last 25 years is a 12 channel, + or - 12 db graphic equalizer, and the Macs have sounded great with it.

Unregistered guest
I have had a pair of Mcintosh XL1 book shelf speakers and the companion XL1W subwoofer in air conditioned storage for the last 10 years. When I hook them up they sound muffled. The cones appear to be in good shape as do the rest of the component parts. Any idea what the problem is and are they beyond repair?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3769

Are the tweeters working?

Unregistered guest
Jan - they produce sound but it is muffled. Not being very knowledgeable in this field, I an not sure what else I can tell you about their sound or performance.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us