Orbs!

Bronze Member
Username: Kjrice

Post Number: 16
Got my Mod2's and man do they sound great! I set the crossover for my sub to 200 Hz. I was skeptical after listening to other sat-type speakers and all I can say is they rock. Also, customer service is second to none.

Varit
Unregistered guest
I just bought my second set...I've probably sold more than a few sets for them, too, as a couple of friends have picked up systems after hearing mine. I wish they paid commission :-) I have my crossover on my receiver set to 120hz, and the sub's crossover turned all way up to essentially let the receiver's crossover do all of the work.

Silver Member
Username: Larry_r

Naples, FL

Post Number: 550
Wondering about those speakers - with cones that small, you'd think they would sound "tinny." Not so? I'm usually not a fan of tiny surround speakers, because they tend to be shrill. If the Orbs are not - then they must know something that other "tiny" speaker manufacturers do not!

Personally, I recently performer "surgery" on my Radio Shack 2-way mini speakers - gutting the tweeter and crossover, and letting the 4" cone do all the work. they sound MUCH better than they did with the tweeter! Must be similar to the Orbs?

Varit
Unregistered guest
The Orb Audio speakers sound big and full. Def. don't sound like most satellite/sub systems.

Gold Member
Username: Myrantz

Post Number: 1339
Larry,

John A uses a Kef 'Egg' for a center, these may also be suitable for your surrounds (BTW I have heard good things about the Orbs too). They have the tweeter in the center of the cone (I think). Listening to hi-res music and surround movies I couldn't possibly do without tweeters in the rears (especially so for the music), but ours are about the same distance from our listening position as our mains (10 - 12 ft) (which suits sacd especially).

I am concerned that you get this right Larry since you've laid out good money for the B&W upgrade. If you find the tweeters too high in the rears you could tape layers of tissue over them to suit - but with Kef eggs or Orbs that may be difficult.

Are you rears much closer to your listening position than your mains - again, if so, maybe look into some wall mount rears - maybe even bi-poles (B&W have these but are not cheap :-)

Just sticking my 2c's worth in Larry - you're so close to an excellent set-up, I think much research may be the ticket (IMHO only) :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Kjrice

Post Number: 17
Not tinny at all and sound quite full. I was skeptical after hearing some other sats, but these rock.

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 551
To all - thanks for your comments. the Orbs would seem to be ideal for my personal setup. Wish there were someplace I could audition some, but as they only sell on the I-net - not likely.

MR - a lot of fun is being poked at me over my speaker "surgery," and I take it all with smiles and chuckles. It basically involved removing some clips from the crossover and putting them directly to the "woofer," if such a small speaker could be called that.

As a result, the sound is much smoother, and the top-end "shrillness" and distortion are gone. I know that what I did is a stop-gap measure - but heck, the speakers aren't worth much, and it was a fun experiment. My dear wife, BTW, thinks the "modded" speakers sound MUCH better!

But the ORBS still fascinate me - and I may have to take the plunge. No offense, MR. . .

Varit
Unregistered guest
At least the Orbs have a 30 day home trial...

Varit
Unregistered guest
At least the Orbs have a 30 day home trial...

Silver Member

Naples, FL

Post Number: 556
Varit - just wondering if you have heard the KEF HTC 1001 speakers - also known as the "eggs." A cyber-friend in SAnFran has them as surrounds, and loves them. But I don't know their price. The Orbs are, as you know, $219 plus shipping.

Username: Macharya

Post Number: 2
A 5.1 setup with a subwoofer is $700 (Mod1) and $1099 (Mod2). I have the Mod2 setup with the sub - it sounds great. Defintely worth a look and a "no questions asked" 30 day in-home trial.

Bronze Member
Username: Hershon

Post Number: 12
I know this is heresy here, but I own two complete sets of Orb Mod 1 speakers & Supereight Subs (one os for my living room, the other for my bedroom)which I love the sound on. As an experiment I borrowed one of the speakers from the bedroom & used it to convert my living room center speaker into a Mod 2 speaker. While the overall sound was much fuller for the room, the actual sound quality was not as good as having all the speakers be Mod 1. I'm not sure how the system would sound if all the speakers were Mod 2, but I recommend all you people initially start with Mod 1 speakers before you start spending blindly based on "mass mob hypnosis", on a Mod 2 system.
As an aside, what receiver do you use with your Orbs? I use Orb's recommended JVC RX-DV31SL and am quite happy with it.

Anonymous

Here is a review of the Orb speakers

http://reviews.designtechnica.com/review2297.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us